SchmidA2
Contributor
Contributor

No network connection between host and guest vm

Product: VMware® Workstation 15 Pro

Version: 15.5.2 build-15785246

Host OS: Windows 10 1909

VM Guest network mode: Bridge

A few days ago I installed the newest Windows Updates on my host system and I also updated my installation of VMWare Workstation to the latest version.

Today I wanted to use my previous working virtual machine.

Problem:

I can`t get an network connection (e.g. ping) between my host machine and my virtual machine (guest).

The wired thing is that I can "ping" the virtual machine from other computers on my network. Only the network connection between host (where the VMWare Workstation software is running) and guest virtual machine are not working anymore? (in both directions)

The host can reach all other computers, services, etc... on my network. Except the local guest virtual machine running in VMWare Workstation.

I already tried the following things:

- Disabled all firewalls on host and guest

- Both machines can reach gateway and all network settings are correct

- Checked that the correct network adapter is listed for "Bridge" mode and also tried specifying it...

- Re-Install VMWare network components

- Complete reinstallation of VMWare Workstation

Any ideas what could be wrong here? Many thanks in advance.

Regards

0 Kudos
7 Replies
novmexperience
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever get a resolution? I am currently uninstalling the latest Windows updates to see if that fixes it.

0 Kudos
novmexperience
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE:

So I wanted to come back and let you and anyone else that was having this issue that when I disabled the firewall I could ping the Windows Host machine from the VM Ubuntu Guest but not the other way around. I found the in my NIC properties on the Windows host I had a cFosSpeed option checked. I unchecked it and pings started going through again. Looking into cFosSpeed it looks like it got installed with my MSI motherboard. I uninstalled that software and it everything is working as it should once I added an icmp rule in the firewall.

bdmeyersc
Contributor
Contributor

Yep. Thanks for the sleuthing. I unchecked cfospeed, and everything work now. Mine came with my ASUS motherboard.

0 Kudos
FredrikP
Contributor
Contributor

I can add that the same goes for "DNE LightWeight Filter" from Citrix (Citrix DNE Lightweight Filter Driver). Once I disabled that, the VM could reach the host and vice versa.

dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

For me, the issue was what FredrikP mentioned...

Unchecked "DNE LightWeight Filter" and voila!

dbalcaraz_0-1605384133318.png

In my case, I was setting up a Linux VM and I thought I was missing something but then I created a Windows one that I know it was working before so that point me that something weird was happening...

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
josuroja
Contributor
Contributor

DUDE... You are the KING of the world!!!!

That "DNE Lightweight Filter" worked perfectly for me, I can now reach my freaking VM!!! THANKSSSSS!!!!!

0 Kudos
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

Spoiler
Glad that this thread helped you! 😉
-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos