VMware Communities
gadeiros2
Contributor
Contributor

No network connection after update to Vista SP1 and WMware Workkstation 6.5.1, Part 2

Hello everybody.

I repeat here what I wrote yesterday, because the problem unfortunately is not solved:

On Sunday I installed SP1 on my Vista Host (32 Bit) installation

and then updated WMware Workstation from 6.0.4 (I think) to 6.5.1 build

And now I don't get network connection on my Virtual Machines (WinXP SP3), via

Bridged Networking, which was working without problem the day before.

IP and DNS are set to DHCP on the Guest, but it doesn't get any IP address, while the Vista Host itself doesn't have any problem.

I also installed the new VMware tools in the VM.

Yesterday, I checked, if it still works with a backed up VM with the old tools and unchanged network settings, which it doesn't.

It also doesn't make a difference, if I use the LAN port or the WLAN of my notebook.

Then I rebooted the Vista Host, which I omitted after installing VMware (it didn't say, I hould/must reboot, after the installation), and then it worked...

with the VM where I installed new VMware tools and one VM where I didn't (still running those of WS 6.0.x), connected via LAN.

Then I went home, connecting the Notebook via WLAN, but i didn't use VMware yesterday at home.

I sould mention, that I usually never reboot the Notebook, but only do suspend to RAM or disk (if the battery is low).

I also recently don't switch of the WLAN, even the Notebook is nonnected via LAN.

I also never power off my VMs, only suspend/resume.

Before the upgrade to SP1 and 6.5.1, usually when reuming a VM after switching from LAN to WLAN or reverse, the only thing I had to do was opening the VMware Tools, switching off the NIC, wait for "Not connected" and then switch it back on, and it would fetch a "new" IP address.

WIth 6.5.1, I expected to not even needing to do this, because the release notes state that there is an option especially for notebooks "Replicate physical network connection state" which would make the VM fetch a new IP address on every resume!? Or does it only work on power on?

Anyway, today, the VMs don't get network connection, again!

What could be wrong?

Thanks for any help! It's really urgent!

Kind regards,

Harald Henkel

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
gadeiros2
Contributor
Contributor

Now I did:

Switch off WLAN, restart VMWare, resume VM ... no network!

Resume VM after switching off the option "Replicate physical network connection state"again ... no network!

Reboot Vista Host, start VMWare, resume VM ... no network!

Reboot VM ... no network!

So, I don't get any network connection, never mind what I do. This is the worst case scenario.

What could be wrong? What can I do to get it back working?

Really really urgent!!!

Regards,

Harald Henkel

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Please check if your connections on the host are set to "public" or "private".

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks!!

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
gadeiros2
Contributor
Contributor

It was set to Private. I switched it to Public, but this didn't change anything either.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Keep it "private" as restrictions apply if you use "public".

Please post the guest .vmx file and screenshots of your settings within the Virtual Network Editior.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks!!

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

0 Kudos
gadeiros2
Contributor
Contributor

Here the first 3 screen shots.

0 Kudos
gadeiros2
Contributor
Contributor

The remaining 3 screen shots.

I only stopped the DHCP service recently, after all the other tests, just to make sure, it doesn't interfere with our router, doing the DHCP.

0 Kudos
gadeiros2
Contributor
Contributor

And here one vmx file of one of the VMs I now have trouble with. I have about 10 VMs and tested with 2. Yesterday it worked (after reboot of Vista Host) with both, and now it doesn't.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Switch from "Automatically choosen Adapter" for VMnet0 to the physical NIC you use for bridging.

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

gadeiros2
Contributor
Contributor

Hello AWo.

Ok, I did connect it to the LAN card and it WORKS.

Of course that is not the optimal solution, so now I though when that is so important, then it might be a good idea, to put the MS Loopback adapter (did I mention I had that one installed) into the Exclude Adapters list.

I also switched on the WLAN again just to see.

It still works - over theLAN. Will see, if it also works again at home on the WLAN.

What I don't understand is, why it didn't work after the upgrade. Maybe I had excluded the Loopback adapter before (and forgot after almost 9 months) and the installation of 6.5.1 removed that configuration... !?

I read somewhere that some network configuration might be lost, when upgrading to 6.5., butit didn't say there, which configuration (OS network, VMware, Client, Host) would be affected.

And yesterday, it worked just by accident - or good luck - after the reboot!?

Anyway, thank a lot for that hint.

After checking at home, I will report if it works after switching to WLA, too.

With kind regards,

Harald Henkel

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

I can't tell you exactly why it didn't work after the upgrade. But sometimes choosing the adapter used for bridging automatically causes problems. If one adapter is not available for whatecer reason VMware might switch to the next one but not back, or it switches back while the other adapter should be used instead.

If it doesn't work at home don't hesitate to ask.

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

0 Kudos
gadeiros2
Contributor
Contributor

Hello AWo.

It works now from home also.

But I have to do the same as before, NIC off, BIC on in the VMware Tools.

Don't know what the new option in the Settings bekow Briged Networking does or is supposed to do. From the release notes it sound as if it would look for new IP address on every resume...

Doesn't seem to work...

But at least it works as before.

Tanks for your help!

With kind regards,

Harald Henkel

0 Kudos