VMware Communities
rwar
Contributor
Contributor

No network adapters for Windows Server 2008 R2

Hi all.

Host: Windows 10 x64

VMware Workstation 15.5 Pro

I imported an ova file (metasploitable3) to play with. After the VM was imported with success, I realized that no IP is available for this particular VM - all other VMs (Windows or Linux) receives an IP. I tried NAT, host-only, bridge, a combination of them, delete all of them and re-add, with no effect.

pastedImage_0.png

Another attempt was to update drivers, although the result is always this one below. Does anyone has any clue on how to fix this? I am almost giving up and start working on VirtualBox (which would be my second option).

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

Edit: the properties of the adapter returns this:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DCasota
Expert
Expert

Here some tips:

1) conflict with telnet service https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/3066752/you-cannot-install-a-vmware-driver-on-windows-serve...   , if it doesn't solve the issue, try

2) Uninstall and Reinstall VMware Tools

- Uninstall VMware Tools, reboot

- For hidden devices run first:

start a command prompt

Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1, press enter

Same command prompt: type devmgmt.msc, press enter

In Device Manager, in View, click Show Hidden Devices, expand network adapters

if any greyed-out network adapter, uninstall it, reboot.

- 2a) Reinstall VMware Tools from VMware workstation, or

- 2b) Manually reinstall the VMware Tools: Download latest VMware Tools 11.0.1, mount the unzipped windows.iso from .\VMware-Tools-windows-11.0.1-14773994.zip\VMware-Tools-windows-11.0.1-14773994\vmtools to the Windows 2008R2 VM, start setup64.exe if it doesn't start automatically.

hth

0 Kudos
rwar
Contributor
Contributor

Hi DCasota.

Thank you very much for your help, although nothing works apparently Smiley Sad The telnet service is not the case since there is no telnet - I've already seen this case previously.

For suggestion 2 (update VMware tools) I've followed the steps you provided, although the exactly same behavior happens (just in case the VMware tools installed had the version 10.3.5 before the one you suggested).

Please share anything else that could help me. I just don't believe this can happen with such a really awesome tool that is VMWare Workstation Smiley Sad

Thanks and BR.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Try removing the Network adapters at the virtual machine configuration and add them back in again.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
rwar
Contributor
Contributor

Hi wila.

Thanks for the suggestion although I've already removed and added them back again, and using different configurations for NAT, host-only, etc...

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

OK well the intel PRO 1000 drivers in windows are "inbox drivers".

IOW they are part of your windows install.

If device manager shows a yellow exclamation mark then there's basically two things left:

1. your network card is using resources that conflict elsewhere

2. your drivers are corrupt

1. is normally resolved by removing the NICs and adding them back like I suggested.

2. ... it's a windows problem

An alternative thing you can do is to go into the .vmx and change the ethernetX.devicename from "e1000" to another one.

You could try either "vmxnet3" for which vmware tools has drivers or "e1000e" which might need the same drivers in windows as the e1000 one, but it is worth a try.

Otherwise get the drivers fixed (Just a guess, download them from intel?)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
jaycalvert46
Contributor
Contributor

Had the exact same issue as submitter, nothing was working, eventually installed the SHA2 certificate fix by creating an iso with the update in it.  Since copy / paste wasn't working to the machine and USB wasn't working either.  Mounted the ISO, installed rebooted, then removed VMTools completely.  I then removed the adapter and rebooted.

Reinstalled VMtools, added the adapter again. Same issue, or so it appeared. 

1.  Start + Run type 'devmgmt.msc'

2.  Select the problem Ethernet Adapter, right click and select 'update driver'

3.  Select 'Browse my computer'

4. Choose 'Let me pick from a list....'

5.  Choose VMWare from the list of manufacturers

6. Select 'VMWare PCI Ethernet Adapter' and click next.

Finish the wizard, reboot and voila, ethernet finally!  This took me weeks to get working.  Thanks to all on here though for the right pointers

0 Kudos