VMware Communities
GillesNeedsHelp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No more network in VMs

Hello all,

I literally spent my whole Sunday trying to fix an issue : my VMs doesn't have network anymore. I tried pretty much everything. Went thru 1008367 and others, reinstalled workstation pro from scratch....
My host Windows 11 (fully patched) definitely have network as I am writing to you know but for whatever reason the VMs cannot access internet anymore. I am using workstation pro 16.2.4 up to date too.
In virtual network editor VMnet0 displays type "custom" when I open it and it doesn't say host connected but as soon as I click change settings and type the admin credentials it displays type bridged. It's like the settings are not in the user space but only in the admin space.
As a result I cannot work as no VM can access internet anymore : this is blocking my professional activity. 
Help will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Gilles

Labels (1)
  • h

0 Kudos
25 Replies
GillesNeedsHelp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Iouyo,

I didn't go thru setting up manual IP in the VM as interesting fact : the state seems DOWN in the VM even if the network adaptor is connected ^^

GillesNeedsHelp_0-1663879803897.png

So I tried to disconnect then reconnect the network from removable devices : doesn't change anything. It's like the system doesn't detect when I connect the network adapter to the VM...

And yes I tried several settings like bridged, NAT, custom to VMnet0 = all the same connected or not the link state stays DOWN so the VM system thinks there is no network card...

Thanks for your time !

0 Kudos
GillesNeedsHelp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Why all my Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS sees the network adapter as DOWN is a mystery for soon a month now 😞

--> FOUND the fix !!!

This post helped me : https://askubuntu.com/questions/1425212/ubuntu-22-04-network-doesnt-work-until-networkmanager-restar...

"Following upgrading from 20.04 to 22.04, networking doesn't work until I issue

sudo nmcli networking on"

And after this command my network is finally UP and running in my VMs!!!

GillesNeedsHelp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So for whatever reason the VMWARE or Ubuntu 22.04 software doesn't issue the UP command to bring up the interface in the system so even if it's connected it doesn't work...

Anyway I want to say thank you all for your continuous help to fix this.

Cheers!

louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Great, glad to hear it. Thanks for updating, will probably help other folks.

Lou

Andymateria
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

This command solved my problem with my Fedora VM.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Brl_RD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank u friend, its work for me.

0 Kudos