VMware Communities
xdeveshx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No internet access for VM machines (Windows 7 + VM6)

Hi Friends,

I am facing the problem with internet access in VM machines.

Case:-

I was using VM workstation 6 hosted on windows XP and i have two VMBOX of Windows 2003 servers in it. I was able to access internet on both VBOX @ XP hosting with following configuration:

1.) Physical Lan card:- IP:124.125.22.XX (DHCP) SUB: 255.255.255.0 GATEWAY: 124.125.22.1

2.) VM NAT1: IP: 10.10.11.1 SUB: 255.255.255.0 GATEWAY: 10.10.11.2 (DHCP HOST)

3) VM NAT8 IP: 10.10.10.1 SUB: 255.255.255.0 GATEWAY: 10.10.10.2 (DHCP HOST + NAT)

Problem:-

Now i installed the Microsoft Windows 7 in my computer and also installed the VM workstation 6. In VM machines hosted VM6 are not able to access internet. I am able to resolve the DNS of public websites and also able to ping them. But not able to browse them over IE

.!1.jpg!

Troubleshooting:-

1.) Created the new vm mchines but no effect.

2.) updated the VM ware tools

3.) bridge the LAN card to VM CARD, No solution.

Problem that i detected:-

In Windows 7 my both VM nat cards connection is placed under the Public network (Unidentified Network) and also not able to resolve this problem.

Would appriciate if some one could help me , and very sorry about my spelling mistake:D

0 Kudos
8 Replies
xdeveshx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well Guys i find a alternative method but it is not so good. It lost :smileyminus: my use of NAT & DHCP serivces. 😐

I played a small trick. I enabled the ICS on my physical lan card with VNAT 8 which is dhcp + NAT enabled and also enabled all the services like HTTP, FTP etc.

now i have to provide IP manually with 10.10.10.1 as gateway and DNS, where DNS is giving Non-auth answer for DNS resolution.

Would appriciate if some one could provide the method to enable internet access on all three (physical + VMNAT1 + VMNAT8) cards from my host OS (Windows 7).(+) without modyfying the VMWARE.

0 Kudos
xdeveshx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well i solved my one more problem of DHCP and NAT serive by providing 10.10.10.2 ip manually in VM NAT8 lan card. Now VM machines are able to access internet with DHCP provided ip address.

Still

Would appriciate if some one could provide the method to enable internet access on all three (physical + VMNAT1 + VMNAT8) cards from my host OS (Windows 7).(+) without modyfying the VMWARE

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Would appriciate if some one could provide the method to enable internet access on all three (physical + VMNAT1 + VMNAT8) cards from my host OS (Windows 7).(+) without modyfying the VMWARE

Try upgrading to VMware Workstation 6.5.3

breakr
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, can confirm - VMs under 6.5.3 are working fine, full internet access.

0 Kudos
ConstantinV
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

-

VCP 4/5, VCAP-DCD 5, VCAP-DCA 5, VCAP-CIA 5, vExpert 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
0 Kudos
xdeveshx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Done friend ... i installed the new version.. but still the problem is there... i guess this problem is due to security feature in windows 7 which allow internet access on my WORK net only. Please see the snapshots attached in my question.

0 Kudos
xdeveshx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Closing this as no solution was there... my alternate method is helping me fine.. Thanks Everyone for help.

0 Kudos
garrettc134
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same problem and need to be able to used bridged ethernet. I see the same thing in the hosts network properties as the orginal poster. From my VM, I can ping public dns servers such as 4.2.2.2 but a wireshark capture reveals that none of my DNS requests are being responded to. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos