VMware Communities
Rockazong
Contributor
Contributor

No bridged networking with 12.5 on Win7 x64 host

Bridged networking has disappeared from vmware workstation after I upgraded to version 12.5. Network adapter on my machine is an Intel I219-V. Reinstalling 12.1.1 solves the problem, bridged networking is available again.

33 Replies
eguad
Contributor
Contributor

I had been able to reliably produce the error and this works.

My setup:

Windows 10 Anniversary Edition

VMWare Workstation Pro 12.5

Laptop with two NICs: wired + wireless

Reliable failure procedure:

1.      Repair installation from control panel
  2.      Reboot
  3.      Remove all networks in virtual network editor
  4.      Set vmnet0 bridge to wired nic
  5.      Set vmnet1 bridge to wireless nic
  6.      Reboot
  7.      Networks are gone and "Cannot change network to bridged: there are no un-bridged host network adapters"

By changing step 3 like Tonyw23 suggested -- changing vmnet1 instead of removing, and leaving the NAT but not attaching -- I am able to reboot and my bridged networks persist.

Thanks for the info.

0 Kudos
Drinkypoo2011
Contributor
Contributor

This urgently requires a permanent fix.

Every time I get this working, the bridged networking is lost after the next reboot.

I have two NICs on my PC, and configure a bridged network on each.

After a reboot, they are deleted, and bridged networking unavailable.

I had a notion (after about two hours of this BS), and configured two more virtual networks, one as NAT and one as Host-only.

On the theory that this might "preserve" other bridged network settings.

So far, so good - but I'm not ever going to reboot my PC again.,

Oh, wait: This is Windows Ten...I have no choice; Redmond decides when my system will reboot...

Midnite630
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same issue. (Windows 10)

Uninstalled, reboot, reinstalled, reboot.

Reattached all my VMs back. Boot them and everything it fine.

Last night my machine rebooted for MS Patches and all my were VMs up but have no network

Had to

1. Virtual Network Editor
  2. Restore Defaults
  3. Change autostart options
  4. Reboot host
  5. Open Virtual Network Editor
  6. Restore Defaults
  7. Restart VMs
  8. change autostart options

everything it good (until next reboot)

0 Kudos
Midnite630
Contributor
Contributor

I contacted VMware tech support and just got off the phone with a support rep.

Manually rebooting the host today and there was no issue.

So now we wait until for patch Tuesday .

0 Kudos
hclgogo
Contributor
Contributor

reindtall OS,?

0 Kudos
hclgogo
Contributor
Contributor

just a bug

,has go back 12.1

0 Kudos
shivalwolf1
Contributor
Contributor

I am getting a similar issue to this. Bridge network keeps vanishing.

I am on Win 10 Anniversary edition and when i try and reset the networking up with just a bridge it either will tell me there is no adapter to bridge to or the entire system will lock up with a DPC watchdog violation error.

What also happens is if it does set the networking up right then after using the interface with a VM the next restart on boot the system will also DPC watchdog error and i have to go into safemode and uninstall vmware workstation entirely.

Is anyone else having this bridge networking issue also receiving the DPC Watchdog failures after trying to setup only 1 bridged network interface.

This issue only started in 12.5.

0 Kudos
Midnite630
Contributor
Contributor

:smileyangry:

It's patch tuesday and after the reboot, not only was the bridged network missing, shared VMs was disabled again.

I was also able to confirm, no issue in 12.1. issue began when I installed 12.5 on my test machine and then installed more patches.

0 Kudos
Kandooly
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

None of workarounds worked for me to save settings of bridged VMnets. After 4 hours finally I found this way that seems do the trick:

Add below lines to registry for every VMnet that you want to stay in bridge mode and restart the host: (sample is for VMnet0 and VMnet1)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMnetLib]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMnetLib\VMnetBridge]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMnetLib\VMnetBridge\Adapters]

"Test"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMnetLib\VMnetConfig]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMnetLib\VMnetConfig\vmnet0]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMnetLib\VMnetConfig\vmnet1]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMnetLibSaved]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMnetLibSaved\VMnetBridge]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMnetLibSaved\VMnetBridge\Adapters]

"Test"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMnetLibSaved\VMnetConfig]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMnetLibSaved\VMnetConfig\vmnet0]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMnetLibSaved\VMnetConfig\vmnet1]

G!v3M35

0 Kudos
Discoverinfinit
Contributor
Contributor

In my case I've just run VMware as administrator and all working well

0 Kudos
LaurentJ75012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The solution is :

Open Virtual Network Editor

Restore default settings

Select manually the current active network adapter insted of usig automatic selection.

0 Kudos
er0sion
Contributor
Contributor

I finally got this POS working.

VMWare Workstation 14

Ubuntu 16.04 host

win 7 x64 guest.

My guest stopped working with automatic bridging for some reason. Here's what I did to make it work again (after two days of messing around):

Edit / Virtual Network Editor

unchecked "use local dhcp service to distribute ip addresses to VMs"  for both vmnet1 and vmnet8

unchecked "connect a host virtual adapter to this network" for both vmnet1 and vmnet8

specified my "bridged to enp1s0" on vmnet0.

rebooted

set my win 7 network adapter settings as follows:

"connected"

"connect at power on"

"Custom: specific virtual network: /dev/vmnet0"

Save configuration.

FINALLY!  Thanks for a horrible product vmware!

0 Kudos
Smiler2
Contributor
Contributor

I had a problem running an Lubuntu 14.04 guest VM in VMware Workstation Pro 14.1.1 where the VM had been created on an older version of VMware (it had been working OK on VMware 12) .  The VM uses two Ethernet interfaces.

Running the VM resulted in a message about ‘Distributed Virtual Switch not supported’ and neither Ethernet interfaces being connected.  Trying to enable or configure the Ethernet interfaces before or after starting the VM had no affect - the same error message and no connections and the changed settings were reset back after stopping the VM.

After some trial and error, the fix is as follows:-

1. Start the VM running.
  2. While the VM is running, select ‘VM -> Settings’ from the VMWare menu.
  3. Remove both Ethernet adapters in the list
  4. Add back two Ethernet adapters.  After each one, make sure it configures and connects.
  5. Shut down the VM.
  6. Restart the VM and check that the Ethernet interfaces come back up.

I hope this helps someone.

0 Kudos
makco10
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks man.. Worked!!! :smileycool:

0 Kudos