VMware Communities
Rockazong
Contributor
Contributor

No bridged networking with 12.5 on Win7 x64 host

Bridged networking has disappeared from vmware workstation after I upgraded to version 12.5. Network adapter on my machine is an Intel I219-V. Reinstalling 12.1.1 solves the problem, bridged networking is available again.

33 Replies
mukas
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem on host Win7 x64 with last updates.

help only that

1. press Restore defaults on network config

2. restart host Win7 x64

3. press again Restore defaults on network config

then u can select bridge adapter.

BUT if u restart host Win7 x64 - u will again lost bridge and again must do 1-3 above.

0 Kudos
Javel1n
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

same problem, i thought i just me. BUt i am using win10 x64 anniversary edition

using intel 82574L gigabit network.

revert to last version can make it work again.

0 Kudos
Javel1n
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

confirm it work.

0 Kudos
LaurentJ75012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

I installed vwware workstaiton 12.5.

Mac VM stop working

No bridged networking on Windows 10 VM.

I uninstalled vwware workstaiton 12.5.

I reinstalled vmware workstation 12.1.1

Bridged networking doesn't work under Windows 10 AND under MAC ElCaptitan.

Please, help !

0 Kudos
mukas
Contributor
Contributor

1. press Restore defaults on network config

2. restart host

3. press again Restore defaults on network config

then u can select bridge adapter.

0 Kudos
LaurentJ75012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I went back to 12.1.1 before and now, even restaure default doesnt works

0 Kudos
Rockazong
Contributor
Contributor

Yah, you can do that on 12.5. But after the next cold reboot, the bridge is gone again...:smileycry:. I encountered a bridged network disappearing in the middle of a windows guest update procedure...not very funny

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

Thanks for using Workstation.

When you experience network issue on 12.5, could you upload your log files so that I can have a look and try to reproduce it in house? Go to Help -> Support -> Collect Support Data... and upload the support bundle zip file saved on your desktop to here. Thank you.

0 Kudos
PtippitRed8
Contributor
Contributor

I am running Windows 10 (x64). After upgrading to 12.5 I have the same problem. Vmware does not seem to recognize my adapter (wireless) as a bridgeable interface and gives me the "Cannot change network to bridged: There are no un-bridged host network adapters"

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

Anybody share your support bundle to us will be greatly helpful for us to triage the issue. Even you switch back to the 12.1.1, it will be helpful to know your environment/config info so that we can manage to reproduce it in the same environment.

To collect support bundle, there are couple of ways:

1. From Workstation UI: Go to Help -> Support -> Collect Support Data... and upload the support bundle zip file. (If you have any issue to run the UI, you can use method 2)

2. For Workstation Player/Workstation Pro: Go to Player/Workstation Pro installation path: C:\Program Files(x86)\VMware\VMware Player (VMware Workstation), find the vm-support.vbs and double click it.

Upload the vmsupport-2016-*-*.zip to the forum, or if you do not want to upload to here, you can send it to me directly. My email is: twang at vmware.com

Thank you for your understanding and appreciate it.

0 Kudos
PtippitRed8
Contributor
Contributor

The restore defaults feature did not work for me. Ultimately, I uninstalled workstation, preserving license and configuration settings. Rebooted, then reinstalled with 12.5 and the network adapter was visible by Workstation. Weird.

0 Kudos
nzdude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I also have this issue in VMware Workstation Pro 12.5.0.  I tried to collect the support data from Help > Support > Collect Support data, but it failed.  The progress bar disappeared about 1/4 of the way through the Collecting host OS support data progress bar.  No .zip file was created.

pastedImage_4.png

I then ran vm-support.vbs from an elevated command-prompt, and got an error:

pastedImage_5.png

On line 796 of the .vbs file, it was doing this:

pastedImage_6.png

Is the lack of any vmnet*.* files the issue?

pastedImage_9.png

I can't downgrade to 12.1.1 as there is a critical security vulnerability in that version, fixed by 12.5.0.

Perhaps issue a 12.1.2 as an interim so that we can continue using VMware Workstation?

0 Kudos
nzdude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Restoring defaults has not fixed the issue for me.   I have to use NAT, which is less than desirable.

0 Kudos
LaurentJ75012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Me too, I think we need a procedure or a fixit to totally uninstall all vmware references in the registry and try to reinstall a factory version of 12.1.1.

Do you have a list of registry keys to remove ?

After uninsalling, there is a lot of references to vmware remaining.

Thanks

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

Hello Guys,

We noticed that not all the user reproduced the Bridged issue. The user who reproduced this issue has a similar habit that is removed the VMnet1 and VMnet8 in Virtual Network Editor. We have a workaround which works in house. This workaround is purposed for the user who wants to use Bridged Network only and does not want to see the NAT and Hosted only network adapter on the host.

Could you guys try it out and give me your feedback? Appreciate.

1. Uninstall the 12.5

2. Reboot the host.

3. Install the 12.5

4. Reboot the host.

5. Open Virtual Network Editor, give the admin privilege to the Editor by Click the Change Settings button. (Skip this step if you login the Host OS as administrator and there is no “Change Settings” button)

6. Do not remove VMnet1 and VMnet8, instead, select VMnet1, uncheck “Connect a host virtual adapter to this network”, select VMnet8, uncheck ”Connect a host virtual adapter to this network”.

7. Run ifconfig, there is no VMnet1 and VMnet8 adapter.

8. Run a VM check the bridged network is working

9. Reboot the Host, run a VM to check the network again.

0 Kudos
nzdude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I can confirm that the steps provided by Tonyw23 worked for me.  Thanks! 

0 Kudos
McRain
Contributor
Contributor

this issue will happen when you remove all NAT type virtual network throught "Virtual Network Editor"

the solution is to start "VMware NAT Service" once for each new booting of win7 X64, the bridge-network will work even if you stop the "VMware NAT Service" immediately.

you may keep the "VMware NAT Service" start automatcially.

even though, the issue is not reasonable. we still need the final resolution from VMware Inc.

0 Kudos
LaurentJ75012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
Drinkypoo2011
Contributor
Contributor

I am running Windows 10 Anniversary (hate it)  on my host.

I just upgraded to Workstation from 12.1 to 12.5 by running the executable "VMware-workstation-full-12.5.0-4352439"

This - like all workstation upgrades - clobbered my virtual network configurations.

(Why does VMware keep doing this to us?)

Support is completely unsympathetic about this.

My VMs - which wire bridged directly to the primary network adapter - could no longer get network connectivity.

I re- installed the "VMware Bridge Protocol" service on the network adapter as posted earlier (it was indeed missing); no joy even after multiple add/remove/reboots.

Virtual network editor consistently gave me the message "Cannot change network to bridged. There are no un-bridged host network adapters".

Next I went to the control panel (the good "old" one, not Windows 10 "Settings"), "Programs and Features", highlighted "VMware Workstation", right-click and "Change" (no other options). I then asked the wizard to "Repair".

I could then delete all the default networks and add specific bridged networks to the two adapters.

Finally four hours later I can get on with my job. Thanks VMware!

Hope this helps someone save a few hours!

0 Kudos