VMware Communities
cwhillegas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No VMnet0 or bridged networking

I installed VMware Workstation 10.0.1 on a Windows 8 system.  When I open Virtual Network Editor, there is no VMnet0, and I cannot create a network with bridging enabled.  I get the following error:

Cannot change network to bridged: There are no un-bridged host network adapters.

Networking is working fine on the host system.  I have not found anything helpful in the documentation which assumes VMnet0 is there and working fine as a bridged network, and googling has not yielded anything helpful yet.

Thank you,

Curt

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'll check the event viewer and if appropriate try to re-install with McAffee turned off.

As soon as I saw "McAffee" (it's actually, McAfee) I wen't ugh!  IMO McAfee is one of the worst personal computer AntiVirus/Firewall products there is and I'd never use it on personal computers! Smiley Wink  You might actually have to completely uninstall McAfee and then install VMware Workstation.  Then test it before install your 3rd party AntiVirus/Firewall, hopefully not McAfee! Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

From an Administrator: Command Prompt what happens if you issue the following command?

net start vmnetbridge

Have you tried using the Restore Default button in the Virtual Network Editor?  Note that this may change your existing VMnet IP Addresses! Smiley Wink

cwhillegas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I do a 'net start vmnetbridge' I get "The service name is invalid."  I have tried restoring the default, uninstalling and re-installing (a number of times).

Thank you,

Curt

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Okay, check the Windows Registry at the following location to see that information for VMnetBridge is present.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\VMnetBridge

And that the following key is present and set to: 0x00000002 (2)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\VMnetBridge\Start

If it's not present then that's part of the problem.

If it is present then what AntiVirus and or Firewall software are you running and have you checked Event Viewer to see if there are any clues?

0 Kudos
cwhillegas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is no HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\VMnetBridge, so I'm guessing you're right on with the virus software.  I'll check the event viewer and if appropriate try to re-install with McAffee turned off.

Thank you,

Curt

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'll check the event viewer and if appropriate try to re-install with McAffee turned off.

As soon as I saw "McAffee" (it's actually, McAfee) I wen't ugh!  IMO McAfee is one of the worst personal computer AntiVirus/Firewall products there is and I'd never use it on personal computers! Smiley Wink  You might actually have to completely uninstall McAfee and then install VMware Workstation.  Then test it before install your 3rd party AntiVirus/Firewall, hopefully not McAfee! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
cwhillegas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I uninstalled VMware and turned off both "Access Protection" and "On-Access Scanner" in McAfee, then I installed VMware and the appropriate pieces for bridge networking are now present.  All is working well, even with McAfee turned back on.

Thank you,

Curt

0 Kudos
Sikkepitje
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had this issue with VMware Workstation 12, after upgrading my host OS to Windows 10. I don't use McAfee Viruscan or anything like that.  I could not fix this using the "Virtuel Network Editor".

I eventually resolved the issue by starting the VMware Workstation Pro installation program, choosing the "Repair" option, rebooting the computer.

w3p706
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also upgraded to Windows 10 and the repair option solved my problem too. Thx!

0 Kudos
MRoushdy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I do also have the same issue with Kaspersky anti virus, I need to install the Workstation before installing Kaspersky.

vEXPERT - VCAP-DCV - Blog: arabitnetwork.com | YouTube: youtube.com/c/MohamedRoushdy
0 Kudos
pderbyshire
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sikkepitje‌'s answer should be the correct answer.  Using the "Repair" option worked for me as well with Workstation 11 after an upgrade to Windows 10 caused the issue.

Good job Sikkepitje‌ for sharing your solution.

joebro99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I agree with the Repair fixing the problem. I had this problem using Workstation 12 Player, and did not upgrade to Pro. But went into Windows 10 Programs and Features right-clicked on Vm Player. Selected Change which then lead to the option to Repair WS 12 Player. Then restarted Player and rebooted VM guest (centos) and there it is again like old times! Thanks for helping!

0 Kudos
ivanbob
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I run into the same problem. I look into the Device Manager and couldn't find any vmware device. It seems that the vmnetbridge driver is not installed at all.

Afterwards I go to the installation directory of VMware Workstation, right-click on vmnetbridge.inf and select Install. I got an error message that says something like "Windows is trying to load or restore file to the registry, but your specified file is not in registry format."

My OS is Windows 8.1 64-bit, without any anti-virus software installed. Windows Firewall is turned off. I can use NAT only for my virtual machine and the bridged method doesn't work at all. I just download the latest version of VMware Workstation and problem still exists. Please help!

0 Kudos
jared182
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

1. First at all, you need to check if you have the bridge service (corresponding to the VM you are using) on your adapter (wifi / eth)

Found interesting lines about this here:

Windows: Error: There are no un-bridged host network adapters - tech :: stuff

2. Then you have to configure the bridge VMNET0 on the Virtual Network Editor as recommended here:

Workstation fails to bridge adapter with the error: Cannot change network to bridged: There are no u...

3. if you want your guest on the same network of your host, then I suppose more practical solution is to set the dhcp ranges on the Virtual Network Editor (I could do this only when "Host Only" was enable, once modified the dhcp ip range, I enable-switched into bridge option). Then on my VM (linux) I renew my Virtual Ethernet Interface by:

sudo dhclient -v -r eth0 (release)

sudo dhclient -v eth0  (request)

I think that should help.

BR

Blinkomaniak

0 Kudos
canneil2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This Worked for me! Thanks a Bunch! even though its 2017 😉

0 Kudos
LuisRamirezKHSO
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Team,

I Try several options and the one that resolved the problem was to use the button "Restore defaults", this what does is to unistall and reinstall al your vm network adapters and clean all your configurations.

0 Kudos
Jonseet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just so everyone knows, this issue has occurred on my Windows 10 machine but we're running Trend Micro OfficeScan.  Unloading the client and restoring the network defaults fixes this issue.  There was no need to re-install VMware Workstation.

Cheers,

Jon

0 Kudos