VMware Communities
kaliali
Contributor
Contributor

No Sound Through HDMI Guest OS

I have Linux as my host OS and have installed Windows 10 as my guest OS, the issue I'm having is that first of all the sound through the guest OS is terribly tinny. I've changed the guest OS sound properties to studio quality and nothing changed. Is there anyone that knows how to fix this?

Secondly how can I make my guest OS output sound through HDMI, video works fine but on my playback devices there is only 'speakers' how can I add a HDMI output to hear sound also through my TV?

Thank you for any help!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Majinkensword
Contributor
Contributor

Were you able to fix this? I currently have my desktop connected to my HDTV and have the same issue. Checked the devices and it cannot be detected...

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

With the way VMware Workstation (and Fusion) virtualizes sound, the guest will not be able to "see" that its sound device can output to HDMI, but you might still be able to configure the VM to output its sound to the host's HDMI output anyway.

Try this: In the VMware Workstation menus, go into the VM > Settings, choose the virtual Sound Card, and see if you can change it from Auto Detect to instead specify the host's HDMI sound device for output.  (The ability of a VM to output sound to a specific device varies substantially according to your host OS and its configuration, as well as the virtual machine's configuration, so if you can not find the option, giving more details of your host, your guest OS, and perhaps even attaching a copy of the VM's latest vmware.log might allow us to provide more detailed suggestions.)

To be clear, this will not make the guest OS "see" that it is talking to an HDMI sound device... It will still think that it is outputting to boring old speakers, but it will hopefully act as if its regular "speakers" are in fact attached to your HDMI sound output.

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos