VMware Communities
rluzardo
Contributor
Contributor

No Full Screen and automatic Power on

Hello Guys,

I am doing some tests to migrate from VM Server to WS 6.0. I have two VM's that have to be running all the time. One of the things that is necessary in my production environment and that is already accomplished in VM Server is that the two VM's have to come up automatically and one of them have to be in Full Screen mode.

The problem is that the VM that is suppose to get to full screen is not doing it even after select the "[b]Enter to full screen mode after powering on"[/b] option.

The second VM is not even powering up and I have the "[b]power on after opening the virtual machine[/b]" option checked.

I downloaded the 30 days trial adn I use Red hat 4 as host and 2 Windows XP Pro as guests.

Thanks

Raul

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BoucheJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

is VMtools installed? just a shot in the dark b/c i've never had that problem.

justin

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Does running "vmware -X /path/to/fullscreenVM.vmx" and "vmware -x /path/to/justPowerOnVM.vmx" work?

0 Kudos
rluzardo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks

Vmware tools are installed and I actually run vmware -l -X /path/to/fullscreen VM.vmx to make the first VM run automatically when the server comes up. The other VM should come up with the "power on after opening the virtual machine" option.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Raul

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I don't understand. Are you saying that -X makes the first VM power-on but doesn't make it enter fullscreen mode?

The "power on after opening this virtual machine" setting is a misnomer. It really means "power on after opening this virtual machine when opened via the command-line". It's basically the same thing as -x.

0 Kudos
rluzardo
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, -X makes the first VM power-on but doesn't make it enter fullscreen mode.

I tried -X with both VM's and none of them work.

Ideas?

Thanks

Raul

0 Kudos
rluzardo
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, here's the thing.

I needed to make the VM go to full screen as it does in VM server 1.0 as I ask you in the following post http://www.vmware.com/community/message.jspa?messageID=689938#689938

The problem is that after I added the[b] pref.fullScreen.v5 = "TRUE"[/b] line to the /home/USER/.vmware/preferences[/b] file it stopped getting in full screen automatically, even if i put in the Sessions vmware -l -X /var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines/VM.vmx.

I think that that is the problem, the thing is that I need to make the VM, come up automatically, without the Bar of the Exclusive mode like it does in vmware Server.

Thanks

Raul

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Argh. Thanks for finding that. Yeah, it looks like -X doesn't work on Linux hosts with pref.fullScreen.v5. Grr. We're looking into it.

0 Kudos