VMware Communities
m_w_stroberg
Contributor
Contributor

No 3d support is available from the host

Yes, I am receiving this common dreaded message after upgrading to vmWare Workstation 15.5.0 build-14665864. I was forced to upgrade from Workstation 11 a year or two back when the newest version of Windows 10 refused to work as a host for anything less than Workstation 15. I have noticed that this issue is very common, but, usually reserved for Linux hosts. Here is my configuration:

Host OS: Windows 10 Professional version 20H2

Graphics Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 9100 Driver version 21.21.13.4201 11/14/2016

vmWare version: Workstation Pro 15.5.0 build-14665864

Guest OSes: Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 32 Bit, Windows XP Professional SP3 32 Bit, Windows 2000 Professional SP4.

I would think that this should not be a driver issue per se, as the driver is explicitly for Windows 10 and came out well after the original release of Windows 10. I have seen some talk that this issue has to do with an unsupported DirectX version, but have seen absolutely zero solutions which work with Workstation 15.5. Note that although the message is explicitly about 3D support, the resultant execution of the Windows Vista guest seems to not be able to use any AERO themes, even though the host system dual boots with Windows Vista which runs AERO fine.

Any help would be appreciated. If anyone has any ideas, please instruct me how to collect pertinent system configuration data.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Update: Just for the heck of it, I did the greatest free upgrade possible, to vmWare Workstation Pro 15.5.7 build-17171714. This made no difference whatsoever, and I still get the messages.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Best guess?
Your graphics adapter and the driver are too old and don't support the features required by Workstation.

Looks like there's a slightly newer driver available:
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/112596/en-us

But I'm unsure if it will make the difference.
Worth a shot though.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
m_w_stroberg
Contributor
Contributor

Even though I have already installed the driver you specified (yes, I tried that), the date of the driver that shows up in Device Manager properties for the display is the original one that has been there since I first installed Windows 10 four years ago. I do not know if this is that actual driver I am supposed to be installing, or Microsoft simply replaces any newer driver I install with the previous one.

Thanks, anyway.

Mark

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Had a quick peek at the specs of the graphics adapter:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-9100.c2049

It supports DirectX 11, but only at feature level 10.
As VMware 3D nowadays also supports DX11, it has to at least support the full DX11 feature set else it just doesn't cut it anymore.
Looks like it really is a case of the hardware not supporting the requirements anymore.

Perhaps the last version before 15.5.0 works, but I think you'll then end up getting problems with Windows 10 at the host. Best solution would be a slightly better graphics card, but I don't know if that is even an option.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos