VMware Communities
circlex
Contributor
Contributor

No 3D Acceleration

I am using the Windows 10 64bit trial version of VMWare Workstation Pro and I'm trying to test guest performance against Virtualbox on several older version of Fedora 9 thru Fedora 13.  The host machine is a Microsoft Surface Book with a high resolution screen.  Specifically, I am testing a 3D OpenGL game that is only available on these versions of Fedora.  The game was orphaned after Fedora 13.  The game requires hardware acceleration which leads me into the problem that I am having with VMWare.  Each time I attempt to launch the game I receive an error dialog that this application requires hardware acceleration and check that the proper video drivers are in use.  The problem is also apparent when the activation Compiz desktop effects fails and that the menus and icons on the desktop and ridiculously small.

I have made sure that the latest drivers are installed on the host and that 3D acceleration is checked and VMWare tools are also installed.  In contrast, Virtualbox automatically recognizes the hardware acceleration requirement, scales the desktop appropriately and runs the game and desktop effects without a problem. 

For a supposedly superior Virtual Machine and pay for product; I am shocked that these issues even exist.  Either I am at fault or VMWare isn't all what its made out to be.  Can anyone chime in and perhaps recommend a course of action that will resolve my problem?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
kaengo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've the same problem.

Host is CentOS 7 on a strong machine

But at my host, vbox is running much slower...

Because you give no further information beside your indignation,

I make a new thread ...

Greetings,

Holger

0 Kudos