VMware Communities
cstocci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Newly created Windows 10 Guest VM Incorrectly Identifies Storage Drive

Hi,

Just created a new guest using VMware Workstation Pro (v.16.2.1).  The Guest VM is Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 and everything looks OK except when I went to defrag the drive, it thinks I have an SSD and will not do the defrag.  The problem is it is NOT an SSD, but a 900Gb Seagate Enterprise SAS3 hard drive!

One person told me to add the following line in the VM's  *.vmx file:

scsiX:Y.virtualSSD=0

I did this and it still "thinks" my hard drive is an SSD.  Any thoughts?

Chris

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A moderator should be along to move your thread, VMTN has an area for Workstation Pro, the {code} area is for SDK matters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
cstocci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Folks,

Another odd behavior to the misidentifying the hard drive with an SSD, with the newly created Guest Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 O/S, I noticed I have lost the ability to disconnect/connect external I/O devices (like my RDX USB 3.0 port) as those options are greyed out.

I wonder if there is a bug in the newest update of VMware Workstation Pro as I never had any of these issues with previous versions installing different Linux distros, Windows 7, 8 and 10 different versions too.  Now, very few things work much anymore without a lot of "gotchas."

Anybody else having these issues and if they were, how did you get around these issues and/or what did you learn that mitigated these problems?

Thanks!

Chris

0 Kudos