VMware Communities
MelanieFoster
Contributor
Contributor

Newbie Question

I have managed to do a p2v conversion on 2 workstations and have them see each other. Now, I'm looking to p2v my domain controller.

I'm unsure of the disk space required. If my server has 3 - 300gb drives but they are not full to capacity how much drive space to I need to virtualize? If each drive has 74 gb used is that how much space I need?

I'm just confused about how the p2v works.

Melanie

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scowse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just keep it simple. If you believe you needed that physical size then that is what virtual size disk you want. In reality you probably want to copy whole machines over the network so you may want to slim them down a bit.

It is possible to resize later but that procedure is a bit more complicated .

MelanieFoster
Contributor
Contributor

So, I can choose the size?

Can I make it smaller than what the server is physically?

0 Kudos
scowse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You need to make the disks big enough to fit alll your data plus some free space for future use just like a physical disk.

Are you using standlone convertor for p2v?

If so you can resize with that during p2v.

0 Kudos
MelanieFoster
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I believe I am.

I just point it at the server or workstation and let it do its thing. My workstation converstions worked fine and I found some instructions on how to "network" them. Hoping that I can virtualize my domain controller over the weekend and have a little virutal network on my machine.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
scowse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You should just need to do the c: drive which should get your DC running and then you can add other hd's later as required.

0 Kudos
TobiasKracht
Expert
Expert

But before converting read this article - Virtualizing existing domain controllers

StarWind Software R&D

StarWind Software R&D http://www.starwindsoftware.com
0 Kudos
MelanieFoster
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks everyone!!

0 Kudos