VMware Communities
mtan002
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Newbie Question on setting up Windows 2003 network

Hi I am using VMware to learn networking. Only to find that I have to learn VMware first to be able to learn from my virtual network.

My aim is to set up two virtual machines: a Windows 2003 server acting as domain controller and a XP Pro client. For Windows updates, I'd like both to have internet access.

My host machine is running Vista Ultimate with Workstation 6.0.2 installed. My access to the internet is via an ADSL router.

I have tried many different virtual ethernet card options on the 2 virtual machines. My biggest stumbling block is that I can't get the client to ping the 2003 server. If I can ping the server, I can't get to the internet. In some scenarios, the XP client get its address from the router, instead of from the DHCP in the server. I configure the 2003 server to have fixed IP address (192.168.2.1)

Given my VM objective, what ethernet option should I use?

Your help very much appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
birdie
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I can't ping the XP client from the Win2k3 server. What is wrong ????

Since SP2 WinXP has firewall enabled by default Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
birdie
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Two NAT will suffice, but your Win2k3 server should have the IP in the same network as your WinXP client.

E.g. if you WinXP gets 192.168.23.127 IP address, then your Win2k3 may have e.g. 192.168.23.1 (but not 192.168.0.1). Set up Win2k3's default gateway and DNS server like in your WinXP guest.

Also you may set different parameters for your virtual VMWare network.

mtan002
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI Birdie

Thanks for the hints. I have tried using your suggestion. Both Win2k3 and XP has 192.168.32.xxx adress. But I can't ping one another. Don't understand why - supposed to be in the same subnet with /24 as subnet mask.

One more question here: The DHCP in NAT made the DHCP in Win2k3 redundant. What option can I use if I want the DHCP in Win2k3 to fulfill its normal role?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
MrBaba
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey, normally in workstation when you install you have the choice between use the same network as the host or another one, if you have choose to use specific VMNetwork, you can't acces to the internet but if you have choice to share the host connection you're VM can go to the internet, to view this option, go into edit and virtual network settings ,

see that the vm net (host only is enable) and the vmnet NAT is enable too.

look all options you might have in this page and clik OK try if it works now.

mtan002
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried unbridged VMNet option. The XP client is taking IP address from DHCP in Win2k3 correctly. Strange thing I can only ping the Server from the XP client. I can't ping the XP client from the Win2k3 server.

What is wrong ????

Thanks.

0 Kudos
birdie
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I can't ping the XP client from the Win2k3 server. What is wrong ????

Since SP2 WinXP has firewall enabled by default Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mtan002
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Of course!!!

Thanks for all the help.

0 Kudos