VMware Communities
goldeneye_007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New motherboard USB problems

Workstation Pro 16.2.1 installed on Linux, OpenSUSE Leap 15.3. Debilitating problems with USB.

VMware is hosting a Windows 10 guest.

Microphones and video cameras work outside of VMware but nothing works inside of VMware other than the keyboard and mouse.

Doesn't matter which USB port the devices are plugged into. I have tried all manner of fixes to no avail including all available board BIOS.

Motherboard is Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
edrobal
Contributor
Contributor

Problem is not motherboard but usbarbitrator not started. I have the same problem after upgraded openSUSE from 15.1 to 15.3. I have not found why but there is many problem with linux installation of vmware.

0 Kudos
goldeneye_007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well I could agree with that except I have an office full of Workstation running on top of Linux and only some machines have this issue. It is for that reason that I believe it is a hardware interaction problem. It could be something as simple as an issue inside the .vmx file. I am going to look at the vmx files on a working machine versus a non-working one next.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

There is a problem specific to OpenSuse hosts.

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/Error-at-installing-Workstation-Pro-16-1-2-...

But if the issue is that the "Connect" is greyed out or the devices are greyed out you could look for the vmx entry

usb.restrictions.defaultAllow = "FALSE"

Change it to "TRUE" or remove that line and the Connect menu or device should no longer be greyed out.

0 Kudos
goldeneye_007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The issue isn't that connect is greyed out, the issue was that no USB devices worked even when in a connected state.

Interestingly I updated to 16.2.3 on the machine and it immediately detected new USB devices and now seems to work properly.

0 Kudos