VMware Communities
Samcro
Contributor
Contributor

New VMWare 16 Pro wont open games which require DirectX 11

Hi Guys,

I have DirectX 12 installed on my virtual PC, however the game i play requires me to have DirectX 11, so i set the launch option to -dx11 on steam but its still wont allow me to launch the game. If anyone can help me out would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
hahakiki2010
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I don't quite understand your user scenario, please help me to make it clear:

1) I have DirectX 12 installed on my virtual PC

Do you mean to install DirectX12 on host or guest? If guest, yes, VMware 16 Pro does not support  DirectX 12 yet, if you want to run DirectX 11 games, please upgrade the VM to HW-v18 and install the latest vm tools. And only guest after win7 later are supported.

2) What you mean steam won't allow you to launch the game? what do you see when the issue happened ?

3) Your Host and Guest OS version and what game are you trying to play in steam?.

Best Regards,

Yan

0 Kudos
Samcro
Contributor
Contributor

So just recently, the game I've been playing no longer supports Direct X 9 and requires me to use Direct X 11 hence why i bought workstation 16, however i don't know why but i have Direct X 12 installed on my VMWare virtual computer (Guest), how do i get my VMWare to use Direct X 11 instead of 12 ?

0 Kudos
Samcro
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using windows 10

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

What game?

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
hahakiki2010
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

To enable DX11 in guest, perform follow steps:

1) Shutdown the VM

2) Upgrade VM to HW-v18, by right click the VM-> Manage-> Change Hardware compatibility -> Select WS 16.x

3) Power on VM and Install the latest vmtools in the guest, by click VM->Reinstall VMware Tools

4) After tools installed, open dxdiag (the DirectX Diagnostic Tool) by executing it in the Run dialog, then switched to the "Display" tab and checked the Direct3D DDI and Feature Levels under "Drivers". The highest level of DirectX support for the driver is 11

Best Regards,

Yan

0 Kudos
loader69
Contributor
Contributor

Its does not working.

Im speaking about Path of Exile game.

That game require DX11 and with VMware 16 and hardware Hardware compatibility -> Select WS 16.x does not work.

If u need more details, just tell me.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
rickard67
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had to download and install VMWare tools manually to make DX11 work. You can find it here Index of /45848/tools/releases if you want to try it.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

I gave it a shot with Fusion 12... I was able to get it working without hassle, but it's choppy, stutters quite a bit.

Sounds like you just need to get Tools up to date.

-
0 Kudos
loader69
Contributor
Contributor

sorry im late, I did that with tools but it does not work...

May the people from GGG did anything for prevent bots in his game with vmware

0 Kudos
hahakiki2010
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What's your DDI version in guest after tools upgrade?  You can check it by open dxdiag (the DirectX Diagnostic Tool) by executing it in the Run dialog, then switched to the "Display" tab and checked the Direct3D DDI and Feature Levels under "Drivers". The highest level of DirectX support for the driver should be 11

I tried to install the game from steam, but  it's not available in my region.  So if you can upload the vmware.log and mksSandbox.log that would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Yan

0 Kudos
loader69
Contributor
Contributor

Sure:

MksSandboxlog:

0 Kudos
eightace
Contributor
Contributor

I am having what I think is the same problem with Steam on VMware fusion 12. Cannot get Steam to open a game requiring DirectX11 even though latest tools installed and hardware config set to latest.

0 Kudos
VirtualizeThis1
Contributor
Contributor

How did you get DirectX 12 on the vm ?

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

You don't, there is no DX12 for VMware VMs at this point..

It shows in DXDIAG as being dx12 compliant, but IIRC that's just because of DX12's fallback model to DX11, which is what we implement.

-
0 Kudos