VMware Communities
kingneutron
Expert
Expert

New VM available for Beta testing - Samba ISO Server (Linux host+guest)

Please see this thread -- I would really like some testing done on this VM before making it available for general use (and it also needs Hosting)...

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=601130

Entire VM was created with 32-bit Linux Vmware Server. I have Workstation 5.x (64-bit Linux host), latest Server, and Player available to me, but would also be interested in how it performs under ESX; if anyone can let me know, TIA...

Send me a PM or email kingneutron at NOSPAMyahoo dot com -- if you would like a copy of the VM.

./. If you have appreciated my response, please remember to apply Helpful/Correct points. TIA
0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmmeup
Expert
Expert

What exactly is in the VM Appliance?

Sid Smith ----- VCP, VTSP, CCNA, CCA(Xen Server), MCTS Hyper-V & SCVMM08 [http://www.dailyhypervisor.com] - Don't forget to award points for correct and helpful answers. 😉
0 Kudos
kingneutron
Expert
Expert

Debian Stable (Sarge) latest netinstall, the "joe" (jstar) editor, Samba, and a utility called SWAT to configure Samba from a web browser. Designed to be minimalistic (takes up very little resources), work "out of the box" for all clients (Win2000,XP), share everything read-only, and be easy to admin.

You can always install more software in the VM if you want, it's Debian. The initial HD is deliberately kept small to make downloading easier; additional disk(s) can be added later if needed.

Based on what beta-tester feedback I get, might include a few more utilities in the base install, different kernel, drop a SCSI card in favor of Ethernet, etc. But personally I'm inclined to keep it as small and focussed as possible. However, I also plan to put most of the same scripts (updated, of course) that went into my Squid appliance in before general distribution; but this is just the initial release.

I've used its win2k-based predecessor to install Norton utils, autopatcher, Invirtus stuff, etc on Win guests. Would like to know how it performs under a server environment with multiple clients putting load on it. (The iso's are all stored on the host, so I kinda have big hopes for it. Smiley Wink

./. If you have appreciated my response, please remember to apply Helpful/Correct points. TIA
0 Kudos