VMware Communities
mksft
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

New MB, new CPU and new problems with VMware 12

Hi!

33Hi!rHi!

I bought new motherboard - Asus Z170-A with socket LGA 1151.

So, I bought new CPU - Intel Core i5-6400

Installed new clean Windows 10.1607 Pro x64 and VMware 12.

I was experimenting with Hyper-V, but I had lot of virtual machines created for VMware.

So, I tried to start any...

1st problem - message: VMware and Hyper-V are not compatible. Remove Hyper-V role from system before running VMware.

What a problem is there? What to do with Hyper-V without removing it from system totally?

2nd problem - 64-bit systems: 64-bit guest OSes are not supported by this host.

Here is simple Q: Why? I have 64-bit CPU and 64-bit OS, newer MB - when I compare:

Asus Z170-A with Intel Core i5-6400 and old Asus P5Q-SE with Intel Core 2 Duo

=

new runs only 32-bits and old was running also 64-bit guests

????

For to be sure I installed also VirtualBox and it allows me to create only 32-bit machines...

Please explain me all problems, I'll be thankful.

Thank you very much!

Miro

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Miro,

When you have the Hyper-V role installed then Windows puts its own operating system under the Hyper-V hypervisor.

So while it seems you are working in a normal Windows, in reality you are working in a virtual machine with special privileges.

Unfortunately that also means that installing Workstation -with the hyper-V role enabled- in Windows means that VMware Workstation is running under a hypervisor and does not have direct access to everything. As a result you are limited in the capabilities of what you can run.

The solution is to remove the Hyper-V role, after that your VMware Workstation works as normal.

hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Miro,

When you have the Hyper-V role installed then Windows puts its own operating system under the Hyper-V hypervisor.

So while it seems you are working in a normal Windows, in reality you are working in a virtual machine with special privileges.

Unfortunately that also means that installing Workstation -with the hyper-V role enabled- in Windows means that VMware Workstation is running under a hypervisor and does not have direct access to everything. As a result you are limited in the capabilities of what you can run.

The solution is to remove the Hyper-V role, after that your VMware Workstation works as normal.

hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
mksft
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you very much, now understand.

But really don't understand Microsoft...

Locking 3rd part software.

Miro

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I don't think that Microsoft intentionally locks out other hypervisors, it is just the way they decided to do it.

Here's a link to more details by jmattson who can explain all this much better then I ever can:

Re: vmware and hyper-v

--

Wil

0 Kudos