Contributor
Contributor

Networking between VM with lldb debugging

Hosts involved:

Win - WIn10 machine running VMware 16.1.0 and the two VMs

VM1 - Catalina serving as lldb host

VM2 - Catalina caused to panic, waiting for lldb

M1 - laptop I work with

The 2 HW machines and 2 VMs (bridge) are on the same LAN network, getting IPs from gateway (edgemax).

Networking between VM1 and VM2 is fine, I can ssh, scp, ping, and all the usual things.

But when I panic VM2, and it waits for lldb (gdb protocol) it will just timeout. lldb uses UDP, and maybe broadcast is involved.

If I run lldb on M1, it can connect to VM2 just fine.  It is just VM1 and VM2 that seems unable to talk. If I use "nc -u" and "tcpdump" direct UDP also work between VM1 and VM2 (pre-panic). 

All networking is otherwise normal, /24 on all hosts, arp is fine (tried permanent arp entry, but not the issue). Tried without Windows firewall (just in case, but all work with M1). 

Any ideas why I can't debug between two VMs?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Since you state that you have an M1 Mac host, I assume you are actually running the VMware Fusion Tech Preview?

0 Kudos
lundman
Contributor
Contributor

Nah, the Windows 10 box running VMware Workstation (Pro or Player) 16.1.0 has both VMs, and they can not lldb between them, even though the network is fine.

I mention the M1, as it can lldb to the VM2 - as a demonstration that it is not a firewall, general IP configuration or similar at all. I suspect I can copy the VM2 over to M1 and it will work. It appears to be something about the two VMs being next to each other.

I also added a secondary nic to both VMs, assigned vmnet6 (random pick), configured manual IPs 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.2 on /24, ping, ssh working, changed kdp_match_name=en2 (a kernel debugger variable to use the nic for vmnet6) and it still can not communicate. 

I don't see anything special in their UDP reply code either:

https://github.com/apple-opensource/xnu/blob/eb45a4f3d6bc33c958fcbf4ea7388da13ae63a2e/osfmk/kdp/kdp_...

it is most perplexing.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Ahh, then that means you have illegally hacked Workstation to run Apple virtual machines.  It is a violation of Apple's licensing to run their OS on non-Apple hardware.  We cannot help you here, as VMware could get into legal trouble.  Locking this thread.

0 Kudos