VMware Communities
mandava
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Network with host XP Professional (as client) and guest Windows Server 2003 (as server)

Hi,

I just started using vmware. Im using VMWare Workstation ACE edition.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop with wireless and ethernet/LAN card. I connect to the internet through a wireless router which inturn is connected to the adsl modem which has a static IP.

My laptop has XP Professional. I installed Windows Server 2003 as the guest OS.

I need to create a network with the guest OS Server 2003 as the sever and the host OS XP as the client. Is it possible? if so, how do i do it?

Second, if the above is possible, then how do i access the internet from the guest OS through the wireless card.

Note: I can access the internet from the guest OS by selecting the NAT option.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank You.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I do not understand what you mean by "adding host to guest domain". Do you

mean adding my XP host to the guest Server 2003 domain? That is what I

intend to do.

Yes that is what I meant.

I do not want to format my pc and install Server 2003. I want

to work on the networking aspects of server 2003, so I need to use it that

way. Or, if there is, you can suggest a better way.

As I have said, create XP guest. Both of them (2003 Server guest and XP guest) can still run comfortably in your 1GB RAM host machine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have installed VMware 6.02 on several Windows OS's (that's the version I have registered - later the Linux version when I'm flush. In all cases that I remember (Windows Vista (64 bit and 32 bit hosts, Windows XP x64) I can only coonect to the Inernet via NAT. In alsmost all cases (I think thre might have been one exception but I forget having installed so many Linux distridistros) I also haave to NAT rather than the default Birdged. I was (and still am_ puzzled about this. Can wiser people continue this thread??

Narty Felker

Balck Ridge Computer

Marty Felker
0 Kudos
piercelynch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi there,

Are you intending to have the host XP machine joined to a windows domain powered by the guest Windows 2003 VM, or any services dependant on that VM?

The reason I ask is you must keep in mind that when using primary based services, such as a Windows AD Domain - it is important to have services like this fully operational before using any auxilary nodes such as a XP workstation. So, this kind of setup wouldn't really work as well as you might like. You could of course setup a guest host VM running XP as well, should it be for testing!

Bit more information might help us to establish what you wish to achieve. Smiley Happy

Just a thought!

P.

0 Kudos
mandava
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. I intend to create a domain with my host xp and the guest server 2k3. Just these, nothing else. Its only for testing purposes. I installed AD in the server 2003. I do not want to install one more guest or my laptop will crumble, since i have only 1gig RAM.

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You could run both guests with 256MB RAM each.

Adding host to guest domain is a bit awkward.

mandava
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

intend to do. I do not want to format my pc and install Server 2003. I want

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

intend to do.

Yes that is what I meant.

I do not want to format my pc and install Server 2003. I want

As I have said, create XP guest. Both of them (2003 Server guest and XP guest) can still run comfortably in your 1GB RAM host machine.

0 Kudos
piercelynch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As Peter said, for testing 256MB of RAM would be adequate for testing - not like your running a full scale production system with 30 users 😛 I wouldn't recommend adding your host XP machine to that domain running as a guest on VMWorkstation... wouldn't work too well at all. :smileysilly:

mandava
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey Peter_vm and piercelynch,

Thanks for the help. I did the same as you suggested and the network is installed and working. I found the solution to my problem in the user manual too. I should have first gone through the user manual, before posting here and wasting your time. Thanks and sorry!!

By the way, the network is working fine. I created a user in AD in the admin group and shared a folder on the server. Now, when i try to access the folder from the client(XP), it says i do not have the required permissions, even though the account im logging in through has admin priviliges!! Any light on this issue?

0 Kudos