VMware Communities
brentv911
Contributor
Contributor

Network not working in VM

I downloaded the Trial version of Desktop 17.  I created a windows 10 VM and for some reason no matter what network setting i use Bridged / NAT i even created a custom NAT virtual network using the Virtual Network Editor and nothing seems to work.  i can't get this VM to connect to any network.  I tried version 17.0.0 and i also let it upgrade the version and tried in that with the same results.  Has anyone else run into this issue and if so, did you find a fix for it? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You don't provide much info so:

NIC set to connect at power on? Does it show connected when you boot up?

Bridged mode:  What is the subnet of your LAN? What are the IP addresses pulled by the host/guest? If you have a router, can you ping it? 

NAT mode: Use "factory" settings, same questions as above. Attach (not copy paste) the log file to your reply.

0 Kudos
brentv911
Contributor
Contributor

@louyo wrote:

You don't provide much info so:

NIC set to connect at power on? Does it show connected when you boot up?

Bridged mode:  What is the subnet of your LAN? What are the IP addresses pulled by the host/guest? If you have a router, can you ping it? 

NAT mode: Use "factory" settings, same questions as above. Attach (not copy paste) the log file to your reply.

I apologize as i have zero experience with vmware, the only virtualization software i've used is VirtualBox and that works right off the bat.  I've currently trying NAT i didn't change any of the settings and yes the Connect to Power on is checked.  Where would i find this Log file you are referring to as like i said, today is my first experience with vmware and don't have a clue where to find that to send it.

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

vmware.log is found in the directory with the virtual machine files. 

This is, at the moment, more of a network troubleshooting problem until you establish at all network settings are OK.

If you are running windows host and guest, what do you see when you run ipconfig/all from a command prompt (both host/guest)?

Most linux distros now use "ip addr", for similar info. 

Lou

0 Kudos
brentv911
Contributor
Contributor

@louyo wrote:

vmware.log is found in the directory with the virtual machine files. 

This is, at the moment, more of a network troubleshooting problem until you establish at all network settings are OK.

If you are running windows host and guest, what do you see when you run ipconfig/all from a command prompt (both host/guest)?

Most linux distros now use "ip addr", for similar info. 

Lou

Now i'm wondering if it's a hardware compatibility issue.

i just installed the trial version on my other laptop which is a HP ZBOOK, created a windows 10 virtual machine and right off the bat it works fine.  I wonder if it would have anything to do with the fact that the Durabook laptop that i originally tried is joined to our work domain and has a VPN client on it that lets me get into our network when i'm out in the field. and the ZBOOK is not configured that way.

0 Kudos