VMware Communities
petevick
Contributor
Contributor

Network connections to disks on host system

Hi,

I am using VMWare WS 6.5 running on Windows7 64bit.

I use 'bridged' network access, and map my host c:\ and d:\ drives to the VM's I use. This works great, if I have network access. However, if I take my system on-site, and have no network cable plugged in, I see 'disconnected network drive' on my drives, and can't access them. I can understand why, as I have no network address on my host, but how do I get around this please on these occasions.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChrisMerritt
Contributor
Contributor

I think you will need to use the Offline Files system to make the content usable offline

You should be able to simply right click the drive, go to offline tab, then check the box to enable it offline

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Do you need bridged for some reason? (i.e.: VM is a server of some sort.) If not, change to NAT instead of bridged. NAT and host-only place your VM on a separate LAN so the link status of the physical NIC is never an issue. Obviously, you have to connect to the host's shares using the NATed LAN's subnet rather than the "pubic" IP of your host. The NATed LAN will always maintain a link to the host's NATed NIC. (vnet8. vnet1 if you're using host-only) NAT mode will still get you outbound network connectivity for your VMs. And you can port forward if you need inbound access. .

0 Kudos