VMware Communities
MKZMW
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Network and Outlook Problems with Virtual Network Adapters

Hi,

we are using VMWare Workstation Pro 15 and VMWare Player 15 and 16.

Since we deployed Windows 2004 and 20H2 some Users have Connection Problems with their Outlook client or the Network noticed a failed network to internet. After Updating the VMWare client to the latest version the problems are gone for some days. But it occurs again after an indefinite time.

Also reinstalling the network adapters or restore defaults in the virtual network editor work for some time, but it appears again after days.

Any conclussions? I didnt find a permanent working solution.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MKZMW
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We found the solution. Since several years a policy set the NCSI off, dont ask me why.

Computers with Windows 2004 or 20H2 and a VMWare Player or Workstation installed reported problems with the internet connection or outlook didnt start.

It worked after deleting the registry entry and reboot:

Registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\NetworkConnectivityStatusIndicator\NoActiveProbe

We changed the policy now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ray_CJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Was the host OS also updated to 20H2 and if so, does it also experience the network issues?

Are all of the guests experiencing this problem or just some of the guests?

Are you using static IP assignment or DHCP?  If DHCP, how long is the lease time?

Ray C

0 Kudos
MKZMW
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Ray,

thanks for your fast anser.  Most of the clients have Windows 2004. All clients before 2004 have no network problems. One clients had the problem after update to 20H2, but not since we updated the VMWare player. So i guess we update to 20H2 first.

We use DHCP with a lease time 15 minutes.

0 Kudos
Ray_CJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's really too hard to say what's happening here but, when making changes to a system, only make one large change at a time and test the deployment before rolling it out.

MKZMW
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Ray,

good point. I will update one Computer first to Windows 20H2 and check if the problem occurs again.

0 Kudos
MKZMW
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We found the solution. Since several years a policy set the NCSI off, dont ask me why.

Computers with Windows 2004 or 20H2 and a VMWare Player or Workstation installed reported problems with the internet connection or outlook didnt start.

It worked after deleting the registry entry and reboot:

Registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\NetworkConnectivityStatusIndicator\NoActiveProbe

We changed the policy now.

0 Kudos