VMware Communities
dlucke17
Contributor
Contributor

Network Settings for Separate VPN Networks

Team, I need your assistance. First, I apologize if this has been answered, as a quick search seems like most topics do not cover my exact issue.

Quick Issue - how do I stay connected to my company required VPN locally AND connect to a customer VPN in my VM?

Background - I work from home and to access my company email, files, intranet etc. I have to stay connected to Pulse Secure VPN. I work in implementation so all day I am connected to my workstation for all customer projects. As you can imagine, each customer has their own VPN setup to connect to their network. The issue is, every time I need to connect to a customer's site, I have to suspend my local VPN connection, thus cutting off my connection to email and such. Is there a way around this? I have heard of talk that I can connect wireless at my local network and change the VM setup to bridged, but my wireless signal doesn't have the bandwidth.

Current setup:

LOCAL: Win 7 laptop - Ethernet connected / PS VPN

VM: Workstation Pro 12 - NAT network connection

4 Replies
Super_Kevin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

The solution is to change VMware Network Bridge from Automatic to you real Ethernet adapter, then install customer’s VPN in guest which has a bridged network.

2vpn-1.png

I have GlobalProtect VPN installed, which is equivalent to your Pulse Secure VPN. My real Ethernet adapter on host OS is Intel I218-LM.

2vpn-2.png

This is because “Automatic” bridge will try all network adapter on the host, including your own VPN, which is not working often.

The VPN will create a virtual network adapter on the host OS, and use the real network adapter internally.

This solution will let the VMware Network Bridge use the real network adapter on the host OS directly, bypass your own VPN.

Then install you customer’s VPN in the VM. The customer’s VPN will use the “real” network adapter in VM internally.

The “real” network adapter in VM will be bridged to the outside world through real network adapter on the host OS, bypass your own VPN.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Kevin

dlucke17
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info Kevin. I have changed the settings as you reference above but I still have a couple questions.

1. Which VMnet did you make the changes to? In your screen shot none of them are highlighted (Im assuming VMnet0)

pastedImage_1.png

2. With the above in mind, which Network Adapter do I then use for this VM?

pastedImage_2.png

FYI, I have been playing around with the network settings and it seems to stop working all together on me at times, where I have to reboot my PC. I have tried to switch between network connections but then there is NO internet access.

0 Kudos
dlucke17
Contributor
Contributor

To the top. Any assistance is appreciated.

0 Kudos
Super_Kevin
Contributor
Contributor

1. Which VMnet did you make the changes to? In your screen shot none of them are highlighted (Im assuming VMnet0)

Yes, it is VMnet0.

The Intel I219-LM network adapter is wired network adapter. Make sure you have plugged in the network cable.

2. With the above in mind, which Network Adapter do I then use for this VM?

You should select the "Bridged" one, and check the check box under "Bridged".

All the changes in Virtual Network Editor will not affect you host network.

1. Before making the changes, make sure you can access internet (e.g. www.google.com) using your browser on you host.

You may also need to stop your VPN on your host.

2. Then in Virtual Network Editor, set the VMnet0 to Intel I219-LM.

3. And in Virtual Machine Settings, set Network Adapter to "Bridged".

4. Power on the VM, make sure you can access internet (e.g. www.google.com) using your browser inside you VM.

If you can't access internet inside you VM, you need to go back to step 2 and change VMnet0 to another network adapter (e.g. you Wi-Fi).

5. Connect you VPN on your host.

6. Go back to step 4 to see if you still can access internet inside you VM.

If so, go on. If not, there is some problem in you VPN on your host.

7. Connect you VPN inside you VM.

This should work. If not, there is some problem in you VPN inside you VM.

0 Kudos