VMware Communities
NetRock6
Contributor
Contributor

Network Packets

Hi ....

I have a physical switch that is connected to a server. On the server 5 VMs are running with bridged network

If the RJ45 cable is disconnected from the Server, still all the VMs are able to communicate with each other. Is there a way to make all the network packets between

the VMs pass through the physical switch only, so that when the RJ46 cable is disconnected they will not communicate

Thank you for your quick prompt.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Having all traffic go through the switch, no.

But if you just want your VM's network to go down when you unplug the cable from the host, then that is no problem.

See your Virtual Machine Settings:

pastedImage_0.png

Select the checkbox "Replicate physical network connection state" and your VM will loose network connection when you disconnect the cable.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
NetRock6
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply and taking the time to help out.

But, I need to find a way to send the traffic to the physical switch ..... no just vSwitch.

Anyone knows a way .... a working solution.

Thank YOU.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Easiest way?

Put each of your VMs in a different network subnet and set a gateway on an external computer for passing through the physical switch.

Right now your VMs can see each other within the vSwitch so if you contact another VM, it will just use the shortest route possible and that's the virtual switch.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
NetRock6
Contributor
Contributor

Hi...

Thanks for your reply

Could you please explain how I can setup the virtual network on each VMs, in this case.

Also, how about if some of the VMs need to have static IP addresses with the same subnet mask.

Thank you again.

0 Kudos