VMware Communities
EnvyYou
Contributor
Contributor

Network Connectivity Issues Windows 2012 Environment/VMWare Workstation.

Hi All I need some assistance as I’m trying to setup a Virtual Lab using VMWare Workstation to do some study and am running into some intermittent issues. I’ll keep this simple and show you my setup and then tell you about the problem.

This is how my VMWare Virtual Editor is setup –

Imgur

At the moment I am only working with VMnet0 and VMnet1. VMNet0 is bridged to my Local network which has a default gateway of 10.1.1.1

I have a VM with FREESCO linux router setup as follows –

Imgur Imgur

VMNet0 is assigned to the IP of 10.1.1.103 and VMNet1 is given an IP of 10.10.10.1

I have two other VM’s Installed one is Active Directory and the other is a Windows 8.1 Machine. The Active Directory is given an IP Address of 10.10.10.10 and the Windows 8.1 Machine gets an IP of 10.10.10.30 from DHCP setup on the AD Server.

Imgur

So the issue I am having is at random times my router cannot ping my AD and 8.1 IP’s and my AD and 8.1 cannot ping the default gateway. Other times it works and all devices have internet access. Usually if I restart a machine I will not be able to ping again and then the issue will resolve it’s self until it randomly occurs again. I have disabled all windows firewalls but this didn’t change anything. Also at times instead of picking up the Domain Network, the devices will start as Public with limited connectivity. Does anyone have any ideas or any trouble shooting steps I can take to provide more information. ?

I am trying to replicate a network like this -

Imgur

EDIT -

Here is some more information.

This is the ARP table on AD that is in a working state at the moment.

Imgur

This is the ARP of the Windows 8.1 Machine that isn't working at the moment.

Imgur

Notice that the MAC Address for the Gateway 10.10.10.1 on the DC that is working = 00-0c-29-fe-8c-b7 but when its not working it = 00-50-56-c0-00-01

I can confirm that 00-50-56-c0-00-01 is the MAC Address for VMNet1 but i cannot confirm what the Mac Address of 00-0c-29-fe-8c-b7 is. Im guessing its the Freesco router but when i check it has a different MAC.

Where can i go from here to troubleshoot further ?

Message was edited by: Evan Hooper

0 Kudos
0 Replies