VMware Communities
tyler17
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Network Connection Issues

I'm trying to connect to the internet on a Windows Server 2008 R2 VM Machine and keep getting this error:

Could not connect 'Ethernet1' to virtual network 'VMnet8'. More information can be found in the vmware.log file.

Failed to connect virtual device 'Ethernet1'.

And:

Failed to connect virtual device 'ethernet1'.

I had my IT guy look at it and even he couldn't figure out the issue. We looked through the log file and still couldn't find anything useful. It was suggested I disable Hyper-V, but I can't even find it on my Windows Features. I'm completely stumped.

I got the machine from the IT guy who set it up on his PC. I transferred it to my laptop and when I first opened it it asked me if I had moved or copied it and I said copied. Is that the issue? I just have no idea what else to do.

My version is: 14.0.0 build-6661328

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tyler17
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I actually got it figured out. I had to uninstall and reinstall the Player, so it's working now. Thanks though!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
gimmely
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Could you attach the vmware log(s) to this post?

Is ethernet1 what you see in your VM or on its host?  Is this VM configured to get a static IP?  If it's a static IP, does it fall into the subnet defined for VMnet8?

You really need to provide more information for others to be able to give you some specific or targeted suggestions.  Otherwise, even asking questions is like shooting in the dark.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Additionally to what has already been said please provide a screenshot of Menu > Edit > Virtual Network Editor
Also make sure that the VMware NAT service has been started

0 Kudos
tyler17
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I actually got it figured out. I had to uninstall and reinstall the Player, so it's working now. Thanks though!

0 Kudos