VMware Communities
ICSPower
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Network Connection Bridged/NAT

Hello

I have a VMWAre Workstation V6.0.1 build 55017 runing on a PC with WinXP Professional.

When I choose Network connection "Bridged" I don't get Internet access in the Host

When I choose Network connection "NAT" I have Internet Access, but I don't find my Server in the LAN anymore....

Anyone knows this problem and has a solution? You would be my hero!!

Eric

Ps: I get my IP Adress automaticly on the VMWare Machine and also on the virtual Networkadapters for the VMWare on the physikal PC.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

your guest should be able to do anything your host does, you cant however see as a general rule a virtual server using NAT without using port forwarding, to use this - if for example it were a webserver, you would allow port 80 on your host to be redirected to port 80 on a guest running on NAT on the host. However, you then connect to the host on port 80 not the guest, but its the guest answering you. At no point would you ping the guest, as effectively its firedwalled off.

So, it sounds as if you need to change your hosts firewall to accept traffic from/to your bridged guest, you shouldnt have to disable it, just configure it to accept a second set of details.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Bridged may not be working because something is restricting it so only specific IP addresses are allowed out, you need a proxy or such

NAT works because it goes out as the IP of your host which does work - however, it also means that your host is the only visible thing on your network the NAT'd servers behind it are not.

ICSPower
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, with the Bridged Network, the Sophos Soft Firewall of the physikal PC ist restricting the trafic. So I would have to open the Firewall. (With the deaktivated Firewall it works) But that's dosen't make me very happy....

Isn't there a possibility to see the Servers behinde the NAT? The point is, that I can ping the server. For me it looks like there is no DNS availible to solve the Servername (DNS request is blocked from NAT or Sophos Firewall)

0 Kudos
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

your guest should be able to do anything your host does, you cant however see as a general rule a virtual server using NAT without using port forwarding, to use this - if for example it were a webserver, you would allow port 80 on your host to be redirected to port 80 on a guest running on NAT on the host. However, you then connect to the host on port 80 not the guest, but its the guest answering you. At no point would you ping the guest, as effectively its firedwalled off.

So, it sounds as if you need to change your hosts firewall to accept traffic from/to your bridged guest, you shouldnt have to disable it, just configure it to accept a second set of details.

0 Kudos
Juul
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I know this is quite an old thread, but I'm facing similar issues with VmWare Workstation 7 (and I didn't want to open a new thread if an existing one describes similar problems...).

I have Windows XP Home Edition, SP3 as host and Ubuntu 9.10 as guest (running as VM).

When using the NAT mode in VmWare, I can do everything: I can see my host, go to the internet,...

When using the bridged mode in VmWare, I can only see the host (and vice versa), but cannot go to the internet using the browser. However, in my Ubuntu session, I can do, for instance, "ping www.google.com" and I get replies...

When trying the same with my browser in Ubuntu 9.10 (that is, trying to access www.google.com) and I'm running "netstat -a" at the same time, then I see something like this (meaning, there's no response received from the server):

tcp 0 1 ubuntu910.local:43009 ww-in-f99.1e100.net:www SYN_SENT

Triggered by the above thread, I also switched off my firewall on the host (AVG Internet Security 9.0) and then bridged mode was working.

So, my question:

What is meant by " ...just configure it to accept a second set of details...."?

Best rgds,

--Juul

Best rgds, --Juul
0 Kudos
aazpf1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i can surf the web with NAt and also with BRidge.

First, if i just bridge the VM NIc it didnt work.

I then followed another approach: i set auto-bridging on a VMNET and connected the VM NIC with Custom settings (not Bridged) to the VMNET i previously set as auto-bridging.

That works even with the host Firewall "on"

It gets all settings automatically from my DSL router, including NS server, those of the ISP

0 Kudos
KichwaKibovu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have two machines connected back to back(Static IPs). I have installed VMware 2.0 on one of them and used Bridged network. I can ping the the host and the other computer from the guest. The problem is i cannot ping/access the geust machine from the other computer. Please help

0 Kudos