VMware Communities
remdev
Contributor
Contributor

Network Configuration Question

All

I need to create a single vLAN and only use non-public static IP addresses like 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2, etc. Each VM needs to be able to connect to the public network to receive updates. I also want to control public network access for the vLAN in one location. Unfortunately, this is where my networking deficiencies come to bear.

I looked at Host Only, NAT, and Bridged VMware solutions and from what I gather neither networking solution seems to be able to fulfill the need. It seems that Host only does not allow public network connections, NAT seems to use something other than IP address to connect; ipconfig did not return an IP address and Bridged networks only seem to work with DHCP.

So my first question is does anyone know how I can set-up what I need and the second question is should I set-up a virtual hardware firewall to serve as the network gatekeeper or can this be accomplished by using a vNIC attached to the host?

All thoughts and ideas gratefully welcome.

Pete

VMware Workstation 8

Windows 7 Host

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> NAT seems to use something other than IP address to connect

no

> Bridged networks only seem to work with DHCP

no

did you read the network chapters of the documentation ?

please post a screenshot of Virtual Network Editor = vmnetcfg.exe
maybe you misconfigured something ?

0 Kudos
rsicilia
Expert
Expert

If you want permit pubblic access at the VMs my suggest is use bridge configuration on your workstation and a router/firewall appliance to manage wan configuration (NAT, PAT, ACL).

Bye!

Rocco Sicilia [aka: BrC] - http://www.roccosicilia.it - VTSP 4-5, VCP 4-5, vExpert 2013/2014
0 Kudos