VMware Communities
Markolo
Contributor
Contributor

Network Adapter needs to be reset on Windows host

I am a longtime user of VMWare Workstation and have had an annoying problem.  I'm wondering if it is just me or if it is something others have struggled with.

When I start a VM as a guest on my Windows 10 host.  I often cannot route traffic to the host, even if I can route traffic to the internet from the VM.  The guest VM is on a VMNet8 network as a NAT where the IP address is in the static range and I have pre-assigned it.

The workaround is for me to go into the host's Network Adapter dialog Disable VMNet8 and then Enable it. 

This has persisted as a problem for at least a year, and I keep thinking an upgrade will fix it.  I just upgraded to 16.2.2 and it still occurs.

Maybe something is wrong with my host, but if there is, it is only related to how it is interacting with VMWare Workstation.

Anything thoughts on what to look for?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Per default a vmnet8 has VMware DHCP and VMware NAT-service enabled.
Maybe you want to just disable VMware DHCP service.

Ulli

0 Kudos
Markolo
Contributor
Contributor

I dug a little deeper, and while I thought the guest was using static IP it was in fact using DHCP.

It seems odd though that whether the vmnet8 interface supports DHCP or not would impact the ability for the Host to talk to the Guest without doing an interface restart.

I'll try to do an experiment later and see if changing vmnet8 settings would change the behavior.  At the moment though I do need to leave it with DHCP turned on.

0 Kudos
warumsollteich
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem. Using NAT VMs with DHCP I have to de- and reactivate VMnet8 adapter on windows 10 host. It is annoying.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I used to create a cmd file with 2 net start*/stop lines. Then put the cmd on the desktop and right click it - run as admin.
This problem is at least 10 years old - dont waste your energy and get anoyed over it - just run the batch

0 Kudos
warumsollteich
Contributor
Contributor

Good idea. Thank you.

0 Kudos