VMware Communities
Cafetom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Netware 6.5 sp6 Nic driver

Hey there,

I can't quite figure this out. I am looking for which Nic driver to use within Netware OES 6.5 sp6. The install selected a CNEAMD driver but it is only set at 10 MB half duplex. I am plugged into a GIG switch.

So, which driver 'should' I be using?

Sincerely,

Tom

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you read:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/GuestOS_guide.pdf

Page 212-214

And yes, CNEAMD seems to be a correct NetWare network driver.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just run a file copy through it. Time it. Is it really 10MB?

Cafetom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hum....I got up to 650% went I was sending from my host to the vmware machine. When I was sending from another workstation, all I was getting was about 25%-35%. I am using netmon2 to measure speed.

Tom

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I bet you that "another workstation" had different NIC than the one used by Netware VM. So 25-35% of its maximum speed might be quite good.

But didn't I asked you to time a file copy transfer? If a copy of 2GB file takes "x" seconds, throughput would be 2GB/x. What numbers did you get?

Cafetom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dell GX260 workstation with a broadcom GB nic, tied into a Cisco 4006 chassis with a GB blade.

VMWare workstation is on a Dell Lattitude 820 with 1.5 GB Ram and an Intel 1 GB network card.

Both the workstation and laptop have fast drives.

From workstation to workstation (without vmware) I get a 700MB file transfered in about 20-30 seconds.

From the workstation to the vmware server, It takes 4-5 minutes.

This was a totally clean build of Netware 6.5 OES SP6, with all of the latest patches.

When I transfer from the Host OS (windows xp) to the vmware session, it is SUPER fast. That is when I got the 650%.

I suppose it could be I/O instead of NIC.

Tom

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That clearly demonstrates that your NetWare NIC operates at speeds higher than "10MB". For a bottleneck look at CPU utilization of your VMware host (during file copy).

0 Kudos
Cafetom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It wasn't until I put on the VMWare tools that my CPU utilization went down. Now, there are two places that I look at. The first place is in the vmware workstation itself. It CPU in Netware 6.5 remains low. It is from 0% to10% most of the time. While in the host workstation, it was not uncommon to see 99% most of the time. Then went I put on the vmware tools, it went way down and now jumps around between 5% and 90%. Nothing remains constant on this side. Even during the file transfer it just jumps around.

I guess my question is, am I using the right driver or not? If this is as good as it gets, and cosmetically, it says 10MB half, I am okay with that. But if I am not using the right driver, which one should I be using? I looked all over for a white paper saying "These are thing devices your NW 6.5 should find during the install, and these are the drivers you should use" but this document seems nowhere to be found. Smiley Happy

Tom

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you read:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/GuestOS_guide.pdf

Page 212-214

And yes, CNEAMD seems to be a correct NetWare network driver.

0 Kudos
Cafetom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. This is the assurance I needed. Smiley Happy

Now I can look at other things..

Tom

0 Kudos