VMware Communities
irishcopster
Contributor
Contributor

Need to create guest OS (directly) from backed up system CDs

Some folks back from vacation have system backup disks from early Norton.

(2001 and 2002) Others have MSBACKUP.EXE (from Windows ME) disks and a few others have Norton Ghost 12, Ghost 10, and two other have Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Desktop Edition 7 disks. What a

mess of backups. I would like to know if any of these work with Workstation 6. Also to be on the safe side, what should I be backing up our new computer operating systems with. I want to back up the system and to be able to restore the system to the computer it's or restore the

system to a guest OS. I would like to restore the system to a guest OS first and then worry about why the system crashed and do the OS restore later.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
saxa
Expert
Expert

You can restore any of the backup sets onto a virtual machine (don't know exactly about the WinME stuff, but who need it?).

Just treat any VM like a plain PCs and restore to them as you usually would do...

>>Also to be on the safe side, what should I be backing up our new computer operating systems with.

There are many books about this out there Smiley Wink Good begin is a help file of ntbackup on Windows XP or higher.

0 Kudos