VMware Communities
Mumtazz
Contributor
Contributor

Need some help on setting up multiple NICs in my host

Hi,

I am running a Windows Server with multiple Xeon processors and 16GB RAM.

This host server has multiple NICs with 2 having active IP addresses assigned.

I need to install multiple virtual images (6) of Windows 2003 Server each with say 4 Processors & 2GB RAM.

I also need to assign atleast 2 NICs to each of the virtual images.

By default only 1 NIC is visible in the virtual image, however after adding an additional network adapter, I can see 2 NICs.

The IP configuration for all the VM images as planned is shown below.

1)  VM image 1

NIC1  192.168.1.10

NIC2  192.168.10.1

2)  VM image 2

NIC1  192.168.1.11

NIC2  192.168.10.2

3)  VM image 3

NIC1  192.168.1.12

NIC2  192.168.20.1

4)  VM image 4

NIC1  192.168.1.13

NIC2  192.168.20.2

5)  VM image 5

NIC1  192.168.1.14

NIC2  192.168.1.15

6)  VM image 6

NIC1  192.168.1.16

NIC2  192.168.1.17

Between 1&2, I plan to setup a VIP (Virtual IP) for NLB.

Between 3&4, I also plan to setup a VIP(Virtual IP) for NLB.

I need to know if I should use Bridging or NAT&Host only in the network options and will all the VM images be able to communicate across each other VMImage.

I do not have access to the local switch and hence cannot do any ARP / switch related confign changes.

Plz advise if this is possible and that all the the above VM images cannot communicate to each other at the same time.

Thanks

M.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I need to install multiple virtual images (6) of Windows 2003 Server each with say 4 Processors & 2GB RAM.

Running 6 VM's configured this way will severely degrade performance on both the Host and the Guest is running all at the same time.  Unless you have a absolute need to have 4 CPUs assigned to a Guest the use one or two at most if running several at a time.

As far as Networking goes you need to read Chapter 5 "Configuring Network Connections" in Using VMware Workstation (PDF) so as to have a better understanding of the VMware Virtual Network Infrastructure and then if using Bridged you'll need to disable automatic bridging on VMnet0 in the Virtual Network Editor and assign a specific Host network Adapter and add VMnet2 set to the other specific Host network Adapter.  The in each VM's Network Adapter's Settings assign VMnet0 and VMnet2 respectively

Otherwise if using NAT, only one VMnet can be NATed however you can use a combo of NAT and Host-only on a VM or use two Host-only VMnets.  Although if the VM's need Host LAN or Internet Connectivity then you do not want to use two Host-only VMnets.  Again assigning the appropriate VMnets in each VM's Network Adapter's Settings.

If you need or want to use the specific IP Addresses then you'll need to modify the default IP Addresses for the target VMnets.

0 Kudos
Mumtazz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for ur reply.

However I am facing an issue here with my setup.

My host OS is Windows 2008 Ent with 16 Core (Quad Core Xeon * 4) and 16 GB RAM.

I installed Workstation 8 and created the VM images of Windows 2003 as mentioned above each with 2GB RAM.

I am unable to start more than 2 VMImage at the same time, it gives an error message "Not enough physical memory is available to power on this virtual machine".

Is this an issue with Workstation 8 or else?

Thanks

M

0 Kudos
Mumtazz
Contributor
Contributor

Just to add that in VMWare Workstation "Edit | System Preferences | Memory", it only allows upto 2GB RAM where in my host system it is 16GB RAM.

I have attached the screen shots in here.

1.JPG2.JPG

0 Kudos
Mumtazz
Contributor
Contributor

Alright I am seeing that this limited RAM is actually an issue with my server,

I will keep this posted here.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I see you're using a 32-bit version of Windows Server 2003 (SP2) Enterprise Edition, is PAE enabled in Windows?

BTW I'm not sure whether or not this will make a difference to VMware Workstation however it's what came to mind when I saw your Host OS was 32-bit.

0 Kudos