VMware Communities
mh435
Contributor
Contributor

Need official support on Ubuntu 22.04 hosts

VMWare Workstation Pro 16.2.3 does not work on a Ubuntu 22.04 host.  I realize there are 3rd party patches floating around to make it work, but 3rd party patches cannot be installed at my company.

Dear VMWare: please release an official update to support Ubuntu 22.04 hosts.

3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Then you will have to wait one, two or three years.
Last 20 years VMware Workstation for Linux always needed patches for latest kernels and only  painlessly installed on "outdated" Linux distributions.
!6.2.3 for example installs easily on Debian 10 - which can be considered as kind of old.

And for your information - the request to build with latest distributions is 20 years old - and there has been no change in VMwares policy.
If you need something that works with latest distributions maybe consider VirtualBox. They manage the building of modules way better than Workstation does.

dgillespie311
Contributor
Contributor

I really wish I would have came across this before I paid VMWare when VirtualBox was working fine.

0 Kudos
mh435
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation Pro on Linux seems practically abandoned.  It's shady for VMWare to continue selling it given its current lack of support.

0 Kudos