VMware Communities
joeduer
Contributor
Contributor

Need help with wireless

I know that this may all be documented somewhere, but I looked and was unable to find it.

I have VMWARE 6.0.1 running on a Linux host, I have one guest operating system, Windows XP.

I have vmnet0 bridged to eth0, and I have vmnet1 bridged to wlan0 (wireless).

Although the guest has no trouble getting out to the internet when on the wired network, I am not getting any access when on the wireless.

The wireless works fine on the host side, but Windows does not recognize the wireless and create a network connection to vmnet1.

Is there something that I need to do to get this going?

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
14 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

>

You should have used vmnet2 to vmnet7 or vmnet9, since vmnet1 is typically reservered for "Host-Only" virtual networking

0 Kudos
joeduer
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry - the config scrolled by so fast I read it wrong.

My wireless is bridged on vmnet2.

I tried creating an additional ethernet adapter selecting bridged, but it that creates a new "Local Area Connection' in windows, but it does not come up - it says failed acquiring IP address.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

> I tried creating an additional ethernet adapter selecting bridged, but

it that creates a new "Local Area Connection' in windows, but it does

not come up - it says failed acquiring IP address.

You should not be trying to create additional adapters. vmnet2 is a virtual switch. If you are familair with networking, think of the virtual switch vmnet2 in the following configuration.

In the VM connected the virtual network adapter is connected to one port of the virtual swicth and the physical adapter in the host connected to one of the other ports on the switch.

0 Kudos
joeduer
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I think I am missing something obvious here, so let's take it a step at a time.

My linux host has two ethernet adapters - eth0 (wired) and wlan0 (wireless)

When I ran vmware-config it said:

. vmnet0 is bridged to eth0

. vmnet2 is bridged to wlan0

Was this the correct thing to do? If no, what is the correct thing to do.

If what I did is correct, what do I need to do to get the Windows guest to use the wireless connection when on the host eith0 is down and wlan0 is up?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

0 Kudos
clawhead
Contributor
Contributor

I know that this may all be documented somewhere, but I looked and was unable to find it.

I have VMWARE 6.0.1 running on a Linux host, I have one guest operating system, Windows XP.

Although the guest has no trouble getting out to the internet when on the wired network, I am not getting any access when on the wireless.

The wireless works fine on the host side, but Windows does not recognize the wireless and create a network connection to vmnet1.

What Linux kernel version are you using?

(1) Reboot - McCain (2) Reformat - Clinton (3) Install new OS - Obama
0 Kudos
joeduer
Contributor
Contributor

I think this is more a config issue, but to answer your question I am running Fedora 7 - 2.6.22.5-76.fc7

0 Kudos
clawhead
Contributor
Contributor

I think this is more a config issue, but to answer your question I am running Fedora 7 - 2.6.22.5-76.fc7

I'd like to think it's a config issue, but I'm not so sure. Are you

able to try an older kernel, say pre-2.6.20, and see if that resolves

your problem?

Some of us have had wireless connection problems with kernel 2.6.22 on the host. My symptoms were pretty much the same as yours -- full network including Internet when connected via wired ethernet; local network only, no Internet, when connected wirelessly. This is my experience with VMWare WS 6.0 and 6.01, running Arch Linux as host and both Windows 2000 Pro and WinXP Pro as guests.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

@joeduer and @clawhead

Did any of you use the vmware-any-any-update?

If so there may be additional steps you will need to use wireless networking on your Linux host

0 Kudos
clawhead
Contributor
Contributor

@joeduer and @clawhead

Did any of you use the vmware-any-any-update?

If so there may be additional steps you will need to use wireless networking on your Linux host

Yes, I've tried any-any-113 and any-any-112. I check http://knihovny.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/ at least once a day in hopes of finding a new any-any update and that it will solve my problem.

Kevin, if you know of some additional steps, please post them. I'd very much like to put this issue behind me. There are some features of Linux kernel 2.6.22 that I'm supposed to be testing, but at this point I have to use an older kernel to support wireless networking in VMware.

Thanks for whatever you can suggest.

0 Kudos
joeduer
Contributor
Contributor

No kevin, I have a vanila install of VMWARE.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

@clawhead

If you used the vmware-any-any-update, it replaced the original /usr/lib/modules/source/vmnet.tar file with a one that does not include vmnet-only/smac_linux.x386.o_shipped vmnet-only/smac_linux.x86_64.o_shipped. You will need to exact the vmnet.tar and insert the vmnet-only/smac_linux.x386.o_shipped

vmnet-only/smac_linux.x86_64.o_shipped that is included with the orginal /usr/lib/modules/source/vmnet.tar in WS 6

0 Kudos
clawhead
Contributor
Contributor

@clawhead

If you used the vmware-any-any-update, it replaced the original /usr/lib/modules/source/vmnet.tar file with a one that does not include vmnet-only/smac_linux.x386.o_shipped vmnet-only/smac_linux.x86_64.o_shipped. You will need to exact the vmnet.tar and insert the vmnet-only/smac_linux.x386.o_shipped

vmnet-only/smac_linux.x86_64.o_shipped that is included with the orginal /usr/lib/modules/source/vmnet.tar in WS 6.Thanks very much, Kevin. I inserted the two files you named, then tarred a new vmnet.tar. After running vmware-config.pl, I was able to use NAT networking under kernel 2.6.22 to get Internet via wifi. I haven't been able to get bridged networking to work yet, though I've only tried a DHCP config and not a static one. I'll look into that tomorrow.

I feel I making progress at last. As I've said in another thread, I've always been so impressed with VMware that I was pretty certain the problem was with my system or config. Also, even in the supported Linux distros (which I'm not using), I don't know whether VMware is officially supporting Linux kernel 2.6.22 yet.

0 Kudos
clawhead
Contributor
Contributor

joeduer, I just realized that it must look like I'm trying to hijack your thread. I didn't mean to. I've just been dealing with this problem for a number of weeks now and it looked as if some light was finally going to be shed, as I believe it was.

I'll bow out now so you can focus on your problem, which may or may not be related to mine. Thanks.

0 Kudos
clawhead
Contributor
Contributor

joeduer, here's a fix from the LinuxQuestions.org forum that might help you. It was mentioned by Daguerre in another thread.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showpost.php?p=2907753&postcount=8

0 Kudos