VMware Communities
CodeBSI
Contributor
Contributor

Need help with Internet Connection Sharing

Hello

I am studying for the Microsoft 70-642 exam. Currently I am studying a chapter titled "Connecting To Networks". The work through section of the book walks through the steps of using ICS to allow allow other computers to use the internet connection of one computer. All of my virtual machines are Windows Server 2008 R2. I have one machine with two network adapters and the others have one network adapter. I've been experimenting with VM0, VM1 and VM8. The insturctions in the workbook say to set the properties of the network adapter connected to the the internet or outside of the network to allow other computers to share it's connection: Right click, properties, allow others to share this connection etc. I've followed the steps using VM0 and VM8 on the machine that has two network adapters. The instructions say that the other computers on the network that is not connected to the network will communicate with the network adapter on the machine that has two network adapters and is on the same network (not connected to the internet) to connect to the internet.

I have been unable to get the other computers on the network that is not connected to the internet to use the shared setting of the network connected to the internet. I've tried everything I know. I've run out of ideas and have been unable to work through the walk through.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
satya1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

CodeBSI wrote:

Hello

I am studying for the Microsoft 70-642 exam. Currently I am studying a chapter titled "Connecting To Networks". The work through section of the book walks through the steps of using ICS to allow allow other computers to use the internet connection of one computer. All of my virtual machines are Windows Server 2008 R2. I have one machine with two network adapters and the others have one network adapter. I've been experimenting with VM0, VM1 and VM8. The insturctions in the workbook say to set the properties of the network adapter connected to the the internet or outside of the network to allow other computers to share it's connection: Right click, properties, allow others to share this connection etc. I've followed the steps using VM0 and VM8 on the machine that has two network adapters. The instructions say that the other computers on the network that is not connected to the network will communicate with the network adapter on the machine that has two network adapters and is on the same network (not connected to the internet) to connect to the internet.

I have been unable to get the other computers on the network that is not connected to the internet to use the shared setting of the network connected to the internet. I've tried everything I know. I've run out of ideas and have been unable to work through the walk through.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi please respond below question.

1- for internet sharing you want to user virtual machine or physical machine ,

2-are you using static IP or DHCP

3- check ICS servicer are running automatic ( services.msc )

0 Kudos
CodeBSI
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I am trying to create a physical environment inside of a virtual environment.

Replies to your questions:

1. for internet sharing you want to user virtual machine or physical machine

• I want to use the virutal machine. The machine with two virtual adapters. I am trying to set sharing on the network adapter that is connected to the host network adapter. So far I have used VM0 and VM8.

2. are you using static IP or DHCP

• I am automatically obtaining IP addresses on all network adapters. Eventually the text book has a section that shows how to use DHCP, DNS and RRAS but at this point I am not using any of these. Only using automatic IP addressing.

3. check ICS servicer are running automatic ( services.msc )

• ICS is running on the virtual machine that has two network adapters in which one has internet connectin sharing enabled.

Thank you for your quick reply. I have been struggling for many days. I am not in a position where I can ask a co-worker for help.

0 Kudos
CodeBSI
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I am trying to create a physical environment inside of a virtual environment.

Replies to your questions:

1. for internet sharing you want to user virtual machine or physical machine

· I want to use the virutal machine. The machine with two virtual adapters. I am trying to set sharing on the network adapter that is connected to the host network adapter. So far I have used VM0 and VM8.

2. are you using static IP or DHCP

· I am automatically obtaining IP addresses on all network adapters. Eventually the text book has a section that shows how to use DHCP, DNS and RRAS but at this point I am not using any of these. Only using automatic IP addressing.

3. check ICS servicer are running automatic ( services.msc )

· ICS is running on the virtual machine that has two network adapters in which one has internet connectin sharing enabled.

Thank you for your quick reply. I have been struggling for many days. I am not in a position where I can ask a co-worker for help.

0 Kudos
CodeBSI
Contributor
Contributor

If anyone can help me with this problem I would be so greatfull!

0 Kudos
satya1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

CodeBSI wrote:

If anyone can help me with this problem I would be so greatfull!

hi please follow below steps and change the vm network adapteer as per your settings.

After installing VMWare, Open Network connections, and edit the following adapter settings.

Step 1
VMWare Network Adapter VMnet1
> Properties > General TAB > TCPIP Properties > Use the following IP address > 192.168.0.1 / 255.255.255.0

Step 2
Local Area Connection (The one which connects to the internet)
> Properties > Advanced > Internet Connection Sharing > Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection > (Select the Home networking VMWare adapter VMnet1) from the list.

Step 3
Open VMWare Workstation > Virtual Network Settings TAB > Host Virtual Network Mapping > Click on the > arrow which allows you to select Subnet /DHCP/ NAT. Select Subnet and enter 192.168.0.0 / 255.255.255.0.

Step 4
Select DHCP TAB > Remove VMnet 1 if already present and click ADD > Select VMnet host as VMnet 1. Click apply. The subnet of VMnet1 will be 192.168.0.0

Step 5
Open Services.msc,
> restart VMware NAT Service
> restart VMware DHCP Service

Yours,

Satya

0 Kudos
CodeBSI
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. I am still struggling with the problem. I want to go through the steps you gave, describe what I was able to do and explain the problem I have with the specific step.

Steps Provided By You:

1. Step 1
VMWare Network Adapter VMnet1
> Properties > General TAB > TCPIP Properties > Use the following IP address > 192.168.0.1 / 255.255.255.0

• I am assuming that you are referring to VMnet1 that shows up in my network connections on my host machine. The host machine I am using is a Dell Studio with Windows 7 64 bit.
  • On my host machine I opened "Network and Sharing", clicked "Change Adapter Settings, right clicked "VMware Network Adapter VMnet1", selected "Properties", selected "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), selected "Properties", entered the IP address of "192.198.0.1" and subnet of "255.255.255.0" and clicked "OK".

2. Step 2
Local Area Connection (The one which connects to the internet)
> Properties > Advanced > Internet Connection Sharing > Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection > (Select the Home networking VMWare adapter VMnet1) from the list.

• I am assuming that you are referring to my host computer.
  • If so the "Local Area Connection" would be the one that my host uses to gain access to the web. The name of the connection is "Local Area Connection.
  • On my local host machine I followed the steps, sharing the internet connection and selecting "VMware Network Adapter VMnet 1" as teh home networking connection from the drop down list.

3. Step 3
Open VMWare Workstation > Virtual Network Settings TAB > Host Virtual Network Mapping > Click on the > arrow which allows you to select Subnet /DHCP/ NAT. Select Subnet and enter 192.168.0.0 / 255.255.255.0.

• When you say Open VMWare Workstation I am assuming that you are referring to running "vmware.exe" which opens VMware Workstation. I am using "VMware Workstation version 8".
  • The only place I am able to change the settings of the virtual network adapters in VMware Workstation is from "Virtual Network Editor" from the Edit menu and the "Virtual Machine Settings" hardware page.
  • In both these areas I do not see a "Virtual Network Settings TAB", "Host Virtual Network Mapping" or the option to "Click on the arrow...".
  • From the "Virtual Network Editor" I do have settings for the avilable Virtual Network Adapters. I currently have VMnet0, VMnet1 and VMnet8 added. This was the default after upgrading from VMware Workstation 7.

4. Step 4
Select DHCP TAB > Remove VMnet 1 if already present and click ADD > Select VMnet host as VMnet 1. Click apply. The subnet of VMnet1 will be 192.168.0.0

• I do not have a "DHCP Tab".
  • I can remove and add network adapters from the "Virtual Network Editor".

I appreciate your efforts. I know that it is difficult helping when you are unable to visually see my settings. I tried to explain things in detail so you would have a fair understanding of my configuration and available options/settings. I must sound like a rookie with computers. I am when it comes to virtual machines and as I said in the beginning, I am studying for the MS 70-642.

I am looking forware to your response.

0 Kudos
CodeBSI
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I was able to solve this issue. For those who do not know (I am sure I am not the only one Smiley Happy) make sure the internal guest network adapter is VM2 or any other that is not connected to the host.

The key to solving the problem was to turn stop VMware DHCP Service on the host. I am assuming that even though VM2 is not connected to the host the VMware DHCP Service was trying to do what it was supposed to do as soon as the ICS service was trying to allow VM2 access to the internet. I am sure there is someone out there who could explain it more elegantly.

Thanks for all the help. I will return soon with another issue Smiley Happy.

0 Kudos