VMware Communities
vmwookie
Contributor
Contributor

Need help understanding how to setup multiple VM's that will connect to Internet

Hi,

New to VMworkstation but have managed to setup my first virtual machine and everything is working great.  My problem arises when trying to setup my 2nd VM.  I can't get the 2nd one to connect to the internet.  I think i need some help understanding how to accomplish my goals with regards to networking these VM's.

My goals are:

a) Have a business parter from the UK connect to one of my virtual machine for the purpose of sharing files, etc...

b) Run multiple virtual machines from the same host computer and have them all be able to access the internet.

Currently, i have the machines set to network adapter "NAT".   I'm assuming that in order to have them be reachable from the outside, i need to switch them over to bridged.  However, i need some help with that.  The 2nd computer is currently telling that the network is not accesible.

Please assist if you have a moment.

Thanks,
Ryan.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

You can use NAT, but in some cases a double NAT (from your host and from your router/firewall) can create some trouble.

So, if you have enough LAN IP I suggest to use bridge mode.

PS: thread moved the Workstation area.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

To gain a better understanding of the VMware Virtual Network Infrastructure I'd strongly suggest you read Chapters 14 (Configuring a Virtual Network) & 15 (Advanced Virtual Networking) in the Workstation User's Manual. (Also available in the VMware Workstation Help File)

Also note that you may have to temporarily turned of all Firewalls, AntiVirus and Security Software on both the Host and the Guests when troubleshooting connectivity issues and re-enable in a logical manner to determine what if any are causing connectivity issues between them.

As to having to use Bridged vs NAT for connectivity for outside the LAN that will be determined by the method/software being used to connect and whether or not you behind a Router you have access to to make any necessary configuration changes for such connectivity from the Internet to your LAN, Physical or Virtual.

As far as current connectivity issues with you're second VM you really haven't provided enough information to troubleshoot from.

0 Kudos