VMware Communities
rupeshforu3
Contributor
Contributor

Need help on installing FreeBSD9 AMD64 and SCO Unixware on workstation 9

Sir I want to install  FreeBSD9 AMD64 and SCO Unixware on workstation 9 but I am getting errors.

While installing FreeBSD I have performed initial steps after that when I try to install remaining packages using sysinstall I am getting the following error

unable to transfer the base distribution from cd0

Do you want to retrieve it again.

I have tried to install remaining packages using sysinstall in various ways but never succeeded  like

1)After performing initial steps, installer asked whether to start a shell and I answered  yes and  issued

the command sysinstall.

2) After restarting the system, I issued the command  sysinstall.

The above both gave the above same error.

For installing SCO Unixware I have created virtual harddisk of size 18GB, 1024 RAM, 64bit video memory, choosen unixware7.1.4 as cdrom, one processor having one core and when I started the virtual machine I am getting the following error.

FATAL BOOT ERROR:  decompression failed

Please help me to install successfully FreeBSD9 AMD64 and SCO Unixware on workstation 9.

My host operating system is Fedora X86-64.

Regards,

Rupesh.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Gkeerthy
Expert
Expert

can you check if the CD media is courrupted or is it readable?

Please don't forget to award point for 'Correct' or 'Helpful', if you found the comment useful. (vExpert, VCP-Cloud. VCAP5-DCD, VCP4, VCP5, MCSE, MCITP)
0 Kudos
rupeshforu3
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I have checked they are both purchased from local vendor

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

FreeBSD should be no problem - I guess you just made an error during the install.

Unixware is more tricky - post your vmx-file please

0 Kudos
rupeshforu3
Contributor
Contributor

Sir I am posting the two vmx files related to scoUnix named Other.vmx and FreeBSD 64-bit.vmx.

Please suggest the solution on examining these files.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

the FreeBSD VM looks good - but the SCo-VM will not work with those settings.

You configured it to use IDE1:1 for the harddisk - that will not work.

Use scsi0:0 instead and make sure the scsi controller uses BUSLOGIC.
Also make sure you use
guestOS = "unixware7" and not "other"

Do not assign that much RAM - use 128 MB as a start

0 Kudos
rupeshforu3
Contributor
Contributor

Sir there is no option for unixware7 in GuestOS menu.  Also I have not encountered scsi0:0 specification during creation of unixware7.1.4 virtual machine.

Sir I am requesting you to kindly create a vmx file for unixware7.1.4 and post it which have to work on vmware workstation9.0.1 (latest version).

I have installed FreeBSD9 successfully but when I was installing it I was disconnected from internet. Now I am connected to internet so can you please suggest how to configure vmware's ethernet interface( em0 ) to connect to internet.

Regards,

Rupesh.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

just edit the guestos settings manually - there is no GUI option

0 Kudos