VMware Communities
JChief
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Need help choosing correct setting in Virtual Network Editor

This is my first time using VMs period. What I am doing is setting up an MCSE lab to following some CBT courses I purchased. I have created a team of three virtual machines - two of them running WIndows Server 2003 and the other WIndows XP. The lab wants me to use the following TCP/IP settings for the three machines (Server1, Server11, and XP1)

Server1:

192.168. 1.201

Server 11: 192.168.1.211 (same gateway and subnet as Server1)

XP1: 192.168.1.1 (same for gateway and subnet as Server1)

Primary DNS is set to 192.168.1.201 (Server1 is DNS Server).

VMWorkstation by default allowed me to ping the two servers just fine without any additional configuration. My problem is when I try to set DNS Forwarder on Server1. No matter what IP address for DNS server I plug in I can't get my XP box to get out to the Internet. I know it's a problem with my Virtual Network settings I am certain. Problem is I don't know where to begin. Can someone help point me in the right direction?

THANK YOU!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

General things:

You can't use IP address ranges which are used somewhere else and which the host might be able to see.

Enter "ipconfig /all" on the host and look at the VMnet8 adapter. Let's assume you see a 192.168.30.1 there. That means your VMnet8 network address is 192.168.30.0/24 (24 = subnet mask, displayed as 255.255.255.0).

Your DNS and gateway for the virtual systems would be 192.168.30.2.

You can verify this in the Virtual Network Editor under the NAT tab.

To change the VMnet8 network address range you have to use the Virtual Network Editor.

1. Go to "Host Virtual Network Mapping"

2. Click on the ">" next to VMnet8 and choose "Subnet"

3. Change the address to what you need. This is the network address, so the last digit (in your case!!!) should be 0. The address range should not be in use somewhere else (physical network, VMnet1).

4. Click "Apply"

5. When you click on the ">" again and choose DHCP or NAT you can see that all addresses have changed accordingly.

When you enter "ipconfig /all" at the host you'll see that the host VMnet8 adapter has an IP address of your selected range with the node address of 1 (192.168.1.1 for example).

So the gateway and DNS would be its node address +1 (192.168.1.2).

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks!!

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
jbruelasdgo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

what network setting do you have in virtual machine settings?

Jose B Ruelas http://aservir.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
JChief
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I apologize I don't understand what you mean by what setting. Again I added the three virtual machines in a team and it set everything by default. I do remember the 'NAT' boxes were checked for all three on one of the screens. When you ask what setting I need to know which tab you would be referring to. Thank you

0 Kudos
JChief
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here are the exact lab steps I did before noticing a problem with DNS forwarding not working like it should. All virtual boxes could get out to the Internet with the default settings when I created the team in Workstation 6.5. But when I changed the TCP/IP settings of the Virtual NIC via Network Connections in Windows when doing the lab below I ran into an issue. The two servers and client could talk to each other on the new network but could no longer get out to the actual Internet. I know I am doing everything correctly configuration wise in Windows Server and XP i.e. proper DNS Forwarder IP info for DNS Server.I think I need to change a setting or something in Workstation 6.5 but don't know what. Lab info..

Server1 TCP/IP info:

IP: 192.168.1.201 Subnet: 255.255.255.0 DG: 192.168.1.254

DNS: points to itself 192.168.1.201

Server11 TCP/TP info:

192.168.1.211 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.254

DNS: 192.168.1.201

XP1 info:

192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.254

DNS: 192.168.1.201

Install DNS prior to installing Active Directory on SERVER1

Add DNS in Add/Remove Windows Components

Add Forward Lookup Zone using wizard

Create Reverse Lookup Zone (apparently not necessary but good for troubleshooting purposes)

Manuallycreate by right clicking zone and choose to create host record for

Server1 (server1 didn't have an entry in DNS database at this point)

server1 - IP address 192.168.1.201 and choose to create PTR record

Set up forwarder on DNS Server1

Run DCPROMO on Server1

Verify everything installed correctly

Goback into Zone properties and change zone to store in AD to integrate

it and change Dynamic updates from 'nonsecure and secure' to 'secure

only

Join XP machine and SERVER 11 (second 2003 server) to domain

Joined XP1 to domain

Joined Server11 to the domain

Run DCPROMO on Server11

Verify everything installed correct

Create user account on Server11

Go over to Server1 and verify account replicated

Create user account on Server1 and verify account replicated to Server11

Everything worked fine at this point except Internet was not working on the XP box. I know I am putting the correct IP address in the DNS forwarder. Again, I was able to get out to the Internet just fine before I changed the TCP/IP settings on the virtual NIC card via Network Connections in XP to point to the DNS Server (Server1). I think I need to allow/change something in the Virtual Network Editor/settings in VMWare Workstation (version 6.5)

Any help at all would be appreciated! THANKS!

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I guess he asked for which kind of network have you configured for your three guests. Despite the correct IP setup you need to make sure that

- all servers are part of the same network.

That could be the physical one if you configures the virtual NIC's to be bridged. That could be the virtual "host-only" one, called VMnet1, if you set them to "host-only".

- all servers have the correct IP addresses depending on which network you have choosen

The guests must use an IP address setup corresponding to the network you have choosen.

If you want to connect to the Internet or to forward DNS requests to teh Internet you must have at least one virtual NIC which faces the outside world. Either using a bridged connection or a VMnet8 (NAT) connection.

Describe your setup this way (example):

Server1, guest, bridged:

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

JChief
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for shedding some light on that. I went to great lengths to post the ipconfig info already for each machine. I also said that NAT was selected by default by Workstation when putting the three machines in a Team. When I did that all three machines could get out to the Internet fine as TCP/IP settings inside Windows control panel --> network connections properties were set to 'Obtain an IP address automatically' - then after I changed the settings ('Use the following IP address:') on each of the machines (as outlined in my lab above) the machines could talk to each other but now I cannot get out to the actual Internet. If this is not enough info please let me know where to find that specific information as to whether bridged or NAT is currently being used. I know all three were NAT initially but like I said I changed the TCP/IP properties for each machines from auto-obtain IP to static and the settings were already stated. I am sorry if I am not explaining myself well enough. This is very frustrating. Thanks for all the help thus far. I found your response helpful and thus awarded points! :smileygrin:

*Edit: I see you also wanted the IPCONFIG /all for the HOST as well - sorry I will post that when I get back home after work. Thank you

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Three things to check, as your first post doesn't include all necessary information:

1. The guests must have an IP address from the VMnet8 address range.

2. The default gateway used should be the host VMnet8 adapter IP address +1.

3. If the guests should use the same DNS server as teh host does: the DNS server IP address should be the host VMnet8 adapter IP address +1. If you want to use your virtual guest DNS server, this must be the DNS forwarder address configured in the DNS server.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks!!

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

Edited by AWo

JChief
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would say with that response my question is 90% answered. I really appreciate that. I am fairly rough around the edges when it comes to this kind of stuff so bear with. When you say "+1" could you tell me what that means in an example? Could you also tell me where to go to find out what my VMNet8 address range is and where to find the VMnet8 adapter IP address for the host? I would prefer to adjust the current settings to allow me to use the addresses that were given to complete the lab. For example based on what you told me, given that the lab wants me to use 192.168.1.254 for the default gateway, I would need to change the VMnet8 settings (on the host?) from the default 192.168.57.x (forget I'd have to double check when I get home but it's something like this) to the one asked for in the lab. Given the IP addresses needed (and this shows my limited knowledge of networking) of 192.168.1.201, 192.168.1.211, and 192.168.1.1 could you let me know the range to use and where to set that? THANK YOU!!!

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

General things:

You can't use IP address ranges which are used somewhere else and which the host might be able to see.

Enter "ipconfig /all" on the host and look at the VMnet8 adapter. Let's assume you see a 192.168.30.1 there. That means your VMnet8 network address is 192.168.30.0/24 (24 = subnet mask, displayed as 255.255.255.0).

Your DNS and gateway for the virtual systems would be 192.168.30.2.

You can verify this in the Virtual Network Editor under the NAT tab.

To change the VMnet8 network address range you have to use the Virtual Network Editor.

1. Go to "Host Virtual Network Mapping"

2. Click on the ">" next to VMnet8 and choose "Subnet"

3. Change the address to what you need. This is the network address, so the last digit (in your case!!!) should be 0. The address range should not be in use somewhere else (physical network, VMnet1).

4. Click "Apply"

5. When you click on the ">" again and choose DHCP or NAT you can see that all addresses have changed accordingly.

When you enter "ipconfig /all" at the host you'll see that the host VMnet8 adapter has an IP address of your selected range with the node address of 1 (192.168.1.1 for example).

So the gateway and DNS would be its node address +1 (192.168.1.2).

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

0 Kudos
JChief
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You have been most helpful, AWo. I will try all of this when I get home tonight. Thank you for being so patient. :smileygrin:

0 Kudos