VMware Communities
rulaman
Contributor
Contributor

Need for help! Workstation 12: The virtual disk is corrupted and cannot be repaired

Hi community,

I'm running a Win 8.1 guest on Workstation 12 Pro (host is running on Win 10).

Unfortunately a sudden power outage crashed my Win 8.1 VM. Starting the VM after the outage gives me the message

The disk '\\ubuntu-nas\Ubuntu-NAS\Kai\TEMP\RECOVERY_WIN-8\Crashed-VM-Win8\ACP-Win8.vmdk' has one or more internal errors that cannot be fixed. Restore from a backup copy of this disk.

The specified virtual disk needs repair

Cannot open the disk '\\ubuntu-nas\Ubuntu-NAS\Kai\TEMP\RECOVERY_WIN-8\Crashed-VM-Win8\ACP-Win8.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Module 'Disk' power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

I already tried to fix the issue by running:

- vmware-vdiskmanager.exe -R \\UBUNTU-NAS\Ubuntu-NAS\Kai\Sonstiges\TEMP_Crashed_Win8-vmdk\ACP-Win8.vmdk

However, vmware-vdiskmanager says: The virtual disk, '\\UBUNTU-NAS\Ubuntu-NAS\Kai\Sonstiges\TEMP_Crashed_Win8-vmdk\ACP-Win8.vmdk', is corrupted and cannot be repaired.

I would love to get the complete disk rescued!

Anyhow, recovering files and folders would also be a way to solve the issue.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Nachricht geändert durch Kai Otterbein Hi, could solve the issue 'on my own'. Found a block stating to download vSphere Virtual Disk Development Kit 5.5 and give vdiskmanager of that package a try. This guy could fix the disk!!! So, problem solved. Hope this helps other poor guys.... Cheers, rulaman

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies