VMware Communities
DrWho42
Contributor
Contributor

Need command to associate custom bridged vmnet with a specific adapter

I am trying to create a script that will configure the Virtual Network settings as follows:

- VMnet0 = Bridged to Ethernet #1

- VMnet1 = Host-only

- VMnet2 = Bridged to Ethernet #2

VMnet1 is already configured the way I want it by default.  I've figured out how to add VMnet2 using vmnetlib64.exe thanks to these excellent posts:  Easy way to export and restore Virtual Network Editor settings in Workstation 10 and Vnetlib - Documenting the command line.

The problem I'm having is accomplishing these two tasks:

1. Change VMnet2 to bridged mode (when added it defaults to Host-only)

2. Set VMnet0 & 2 to bridge to Ethernet #1 & 2 respectively

I'm using VM Workstation 10.0.5 on Windows 7 x64.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Do you really need to do it from script ???
It should be much easier to use the GUI - what exactly does not work ?
You should be able to add a second bridged network if two physical devices exist.

If necessary it should be scriptable but I will probably need a few hours

Ulli

0 Kudos
DrWho42
Contributor
Contributor

It is very easy to do from the GUI, however I am trying to automate as much as possible to avoid human error in setting up the system.  It's easy enough to tell the user which options to select, but it's much harder to make them read & follow the instructions.

The bigger reason, however, is that this is part of a larger system install:  After the Host OS and VMware (along with other software) get loaded & configured, the VMs get created from a template, then our software gets installed into the VMs.  The point at which we need to configure the virtual networks comes about 1 hour into a 4 hour process.  I would rather allow our end users to kick off the install process and then walk away and come back 4 hours later to a ready-to-go system.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
DrWho42
Contributor
Contributor

Any luck finding commands to do this?

I have tried a workaround using AutoIt to set the options in the GUI, but it is unreliable so far because the order of the adapters appears to be inconsistent.  Sometimes Adapter #1 is first, and sometime Adapter #2 is first.  I would rather have a command-line method of configuring this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

0 Kudos