VMware Communities
vmApprentice01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Need Hyper-V for Win10 development. Would like PS script to Disable and also Enable Hyper-V, etc.?

I've read many many threads listing all kinds of different steps to disable hyper-v, to remove Hyper-V, to update registry entries - to get VMware 15 running.

I need Hyper-V for development, but I can turn if off for when I need to use VMware.  Haven't gotten that to work yet.

There MUST be other developers like me out there in the same boat?  Is there a PowerShell script that would turn everything OFF and another to turn everything ON again?

After installing Hyper-V, I couldn't run (obviously) VMware, and I'm trying to figure a workable solution as it looks like it will be Months before a VMware solution is available to co-exist with Hyper-V.

I'm really surprised that VMware doesn't provide an 'official' solution, as the patchwork of different 'fixes' seems less than I would have hoped from the best VM company?

Some of the steps seem to be:

created DWORD Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard\EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity and left it 0

created DWORD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA\LsaCfgFlags and left it 0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard\Scenarios\HypervisorEnforcedCodeIntegrity\Enabled -> 0

DG_Readiness_Tool_v3.6.ps1 -Disable

Disable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName VirtualMachinePlatform

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

Some time ago I also ran into this exact problem, I tried everything and what you highlighted. I had also made these two steps in addition to what you did, the log, etc ...

Try also with these two solutions (for me it solved):

VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible. Remove the Hyper-V role from the system before ru...

VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible. Remove the Hyper-V role from the system before ru...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3204980/virtualization-applications-do-not-work-together-wi...

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
vmApprentice01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HI Alessandro!  I've seen everything in those links and more.   Some have reported rendering their computers unable to boot (but mostly, not the case).  

My goal is two PowerShell scripts.

1. One to turn off Hyper-V (and all the rest of the things that need to be disabled to run VMware - there seem to be many, many settings to change).

2. One PowerShell script to turn HyperV on (and all the other thiings I had to disable to run VMware) so that I can use Hyper-V with Xamarin to and other .NET tools for development.

Once I figure the exact steps (there's a Lot of conflicting posts on the subject), I can make an Acronis Image and test.

I'm really hoping these scripts already exist?   VMware should provide them, as developers tend to use Hyper-V nowadays, but one of the massive # of users of VMware must have automated this with scripts?

Thanks!

0 Kudos