VMware Communities
edroszcz
Contributor
Contributor

NIC drivers and VMWare Workstation 6.5

Hi,

I am trying to get my head around the different NICs VMWare can emulate.

If I just create a virtual machine with a bridged NIC and don't make any changes to the .vmx my virtual machine (running WinPE 3) detects the NIC with PnP ID: VEN_1022&DEV_2000&SUBSYS_20001022.

I know I can edit the .vmx and add the line Ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000". But it would be nice to get the "default" VMWare NIC drivers to work in WinPE 3.

WinPE 3 is based on Windows 7 but I guess Windows Vista drivers would work as well.

Are those drivers included in VMWare so I can extract them and manually install them? Or how do I get hold of them Smiley Happy ?

Regards Erik

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

The other type of virtual network adapter is the AMD PCNET32 which your version of Windows does not supply.

Just edit the .vmx file to use the e1000

0 Kudos
edroszcz
Contributor
Contributor

Later last night I got hold of a friend who uses VMWare Workstation as well. He sent a couple of drivers that I tried (using the AMD PCNet adapter).

The files I got were:

vmware-nic.cat

vmware-nic.inf

vmxnet.cat

vmxnet.inf

vmxnet.sys

It seams like those drivers do work. But thing is he coudn't remeber where he got them. According to the file name it sounds like they would come from VMWare.

Do you guys know the story behind those drivers?

// Erik

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Later last night I got hold of a friend who uses VMWare Workstation as well. He sent a couple of drivers that I tried (using the AMD PCNet adapter).

The files I got were:

vmware-nic.cat

vmware-nic.inf

vmxnet.cat

vmxnet.inf

vmxnet.sys

It seams like those drivers do work. But thing is he coudn't remeber where he got them. According to the file name it sounds like they would come from VMWare.

Do you guys know the story behind those drivers?

Proabaly came from installing the VMware Tools inside the Guest. VMware Tools installs support for the VMXnet ethernet device.

0 Kudos