VMware Communities
AvinashRana
Contributor
Contributor

NEW CPU (i7 6850K), New Motherboard (Asus ROG Strix X99) - VMWare Workstation 12.5.2 Not working after 10 re-install of Windows 10 Enterprise x64 v.1607

Here's the rub:

I installed Windows 10 Enterprise x64 v.1607 ten times. But every time VMWare Workstation is telling me that I cannot use it because "VMware and Hyper-V are not compatible. Remove Hyper-V role from system before running VMware."

I did 10 times a CLEAN install of Windows OS with latest updates, and NEVER activated Hyper-V, but each and every time VMWare Workstation is telling me this thing. What the hell is wrong? Is the CPU not supported yet, or the latest Windows 10 Enterprise x64 edition version 1607 messed up something? Can anyone from VMWare team tell me what is wrong?

My second issue is with OLD CPU and Motherboard- i7 3770K and Gigabyte Z77UD5H WiFi board. Since last 4.5 years everything was fine. I used Windows 7, 8 and 10 in this system and never had trouble with VMWare earlier editions. Now after latest update of WINDOWS 10 Enterprise x64 v.1607, I have started receiving a strange error. "64-bit guest OSes are not supported by this host." I wanted to ask smartest people of VMWare, what is wrong again? I am using x64 bit machine. CPU supports 64Bit OS's than what the hell is wrong now? This system is having 32GB of RAM and is working fine since ages, so what went wrong suddenly?

I don't know what is WRONG, but can somebody tell me what is going on?

27 Replies
tracywang
Expert
Expert

My Windows 10 version is: 10.0.14393. (1607)

And Windows update say: Your device is up to date, Last checked: Yesterday, 6:37PM.

The Win 10 image iso I was used is:

en_windows_10_enterprise_version_1607_updated_jul_2016_x64_dvd_9054264.iso

Could you let me know your Iso name? BTW, I am still waiting for your Support bundle, which would let me compare our system's difference.

0 Kudos
AvinashRana
Contributor
Contributor

Did you get any chance to look into my email? I sent you the support bundle and awaiting your find-outs.

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

Thanks for your support bundle, it really helps to find the problem.

Form the system information, I found in your Windows 10 host, the "Device Guard Virtualization based security" is enabled. We have published the kb and please follow the steps to disable the credential guard and device guard.

Windows 10 host where Credential Guard or Device Guard is enabled fails when running Workstation (21...

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

BTW, you did not hit the BSOD because you haven't enabled the secure boot in BIOS, so you will see "Credential guard and device guard" is enabled but not running in the system info.

0 Kudos
AvinashRana
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tony,

It is still not working. I worked on the method which is being told in you KB article, but all in vain.

I am again going to do a clean install and will not change any GROUP policy, I hope this time it works, but I highly doubt, as if I am correct, I didn't changed any settings after clean install in my previous attempts. But I will try one more time.

Avinash

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

This is the Device Guard vbs status in my system info. (Type "System info" in Windows search box, check system Summary)

vbs.png

This is yours. Please note, the "A hypervisor has been detected" means you have already enabled the Hyper-V, when you disabled, you should see the similar status like above screenshot.

cus.png

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

Let me know your latest Hyper-V and Device guard status when you install a new one, thanks. (It would be straight forward if you attach a screenshot or send the support bundle again)

0 Kudos
AvinashRana
Contributor
Contributor

Copy that. I am 101% sure that, it get enabled by default. I am not even doing anything from my end. Something is definitely there which I am unable to figure out.

0 Kudos