VMware Communities
AvinashRana
Contributor
Contributor

NEW CPU (i7 6850K), New Motherboard (Asus ROG Strix X99) - VMWare Workstation 12.5.2 Not working after 10 re-install of Windows 10 Enterprise x64 v.1607

Here's the rub:

I installed Windows 10 Enterprise x64 v.1607 ten times. But every time VMWare Workstation is telling me that I cannot use it because "VMware and Hyper-V are not compatible. Remove Hyper-V role from system before running VMware."

I did 10 times a CLEAN install of Windows OS with latest updates, and NEVER activated Hyper-V, but each and every time VMWare Workstation is telling me this thing. What the hell is wrong? Is the CPU not supported yet, or the latest Windows 10 Enterprise x64 edition version 1607 messed up something? Can anyone from VMWare team tell me what is wrong?

My second issue is with OLD CPU and Motherboard- i7 3770K and Gigabyte Z77UD5H WiFi board. Since last 4.5 years everything was fine. I used Windows 7, 8 and 10 in this system and never had trouble with VMWare earlier editions. Now after latest update of WINDOWS 10 Enterprise x64 v.1607, I have started receiving a strange error. "64-bit guest OSes are not supported by this host." I wanted to ask smartest people of VMWare, what is wrong again? I am using x64 bit machine. CPU supports 64Bit OS's than what the hell is wrong now? This system is having 32GB of RAM and is working fine since ages, so what went wrong suddenly?

I don't know what is WRONG, but can somebody tell me what is going on?

27 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

See this thread New MB, new CPU and new problems with VMware 12  a few below yours.

0 Kudos
AvinashRana
Contributor
Contributor

Absolutely not helpful.

This thread is completely different. I am using WINDOWS 10 x64 Enterprise. And the funny thing is, after updating the other system, which is having i7 3770K processor, started giving me the same error. I NEVER EVER enabled Hyper-V in my OLD machine too. Forget the new one, now the OLD machine where the latest VMWare workstation 12.5.2 is installed is giving me the same error.

So all in all it's MICROSOFT and VMWare issue. Not an issue with my new motherboard, new CPU or with the OLD one too. It looks like latest update for WINDOWS 10 x64 Enterprise edition messed up with something or may be VMWare workstation is over-reacting this time with Hyper-V even when it was NEVER been installed/activated.

I read the thread earlier and even searched the forum before posting the issue. So, I can confirm that it is something related with WINDOWS 10 x64 Enterprise v. 1607 latest updates and I think VMWare team should look into this as I think VMWare is over-reacting.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Not sure, but maybe worth a try (from virtualbox.org • View topic - Windows 10 Anniversary Update Broke VirtualBox?😞

Check whether the output of bcdedit shows an entry "hypervisorlaunchtype".

If it doesn't exist, or is set to "off", set it to "auto", and reboot the system.

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto

shutdown /r /t 0

After the reboot, set it to "off", and reboot the system again.

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

shutdown /r /t 0

André

0 Kudos
AvinashRana
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

I already did this after my 3rd system format. I did a clean install 10 times in a row, but all in vain. Did secure erase of my SSD twice. Since last 4 days, I tried everything. I searched the Google for solutions, but all in vain. The method you told me is already there on Google and few technet blogs, but I think they are mainly meant for OLD OS's of Windows 8, 8.1 and 10. I think the latest update from Windows 10 Enterprise x64 messed up with something and now all my OLD machines are giving me the same error from VM, even my laptop, which is I think 5 years old. Honestly, I heard about Hyper-V, but never ever tried it. HELL.. I even don't know that it existed in Windows 10 Enterprise. I thought it was from Windows Server 2012 and 2016.

Something is terribly wrong and I think VMWare team should look into this immediately. I am damn sure, if they will download the evaluation version of Windows 10 Enterprise x64 v.1607 and update, they will find the same stuff I am getting.

0 Kudos
Cirtex
Contributor
Contributor

Verify that Intel Virtualization Technology is enabled in the UEFI.  Also, make sure that Hyper-V is unchecked under Programs and Features --> Turn Windows features on or off.

0 Kudos
AvinashRana
Contributor
Contributor

Please re-read the entire comments.

I am using VMWare since ages. I know how to enable and disable VT-x. It's something else. If it would be that simple, I would have never posted this issue here.

0 Kudos
AvinashRana
Contributor
Contributor

See above where I said, I never even touched Hyper-V. I did even clean installs "10 times" ... and after that I just activated windows and installed VMWare Workstation 12.5.2, and every time I received the same error. I can confirm that it's the latest update from MS which created this issue in WINDOWS 10 Enterprise x64 (ver. 1607),

0 Kudos
Cirtex
Contributor
Contributor

My apologies.  I will update to build 1607 and let you know if my VMware Workstation still works. 

0 Kudos
AvinashRana
Contributor
Contributor

NO need for apologies, buddy! Smiley Happy

Sure, please do not forgot to install the latest updates.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

As you mention "the only change is a new motherboard" and that you're sure that Hyper-V isn't installed AND that your motherboard is an ASUS I suggest to read the following thread:

Workstation Pro - vthread Crash

No it is not the same issue, but the creator of that thread has had problems with VMware Workstation for over 6 months until he started removing all of the specific ASUS software that came with his motherboard.

As vthread crashes are also very low level, I might not be surprised that ASUS software is doing something that might cause your issue.

Of course that assumes that you have installed ASUS software, which you might not have done.

PS:please do not put two completely separate issues in the same thread (the 64 bit issue with the old CPU) as that is very confusing.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
AvinashRana
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Will,

As I said above, I did clean install and activated the Windows, updated it and then installed the VM.

I NEVER installed any ASUS software at all.

I am using the completely new system. The system includes ASUS Board x99 ROG Strix, Intel 6850K CPU and 128 GB Corsair RAM.

The issue is same even with OLD CPU and Motherboard. And it started happening after the latest update. It is not something related with software. I am damn sure it is something else which I am unable to figure out and that's why I came here for the help from people like you.

I would really appreciate if VMWare team looks into this.

Cheers,
Avinash

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Ok, clear. You are the first to report this so far AFAIK.

One more request though, please stop using curse/offensive words.

Really I do understand that what you are experiencing is extremely frustrating, but it is also not that great for people who are helping out to read all the strong wording you are using. Besides that it is against VMware Community Participation Terms of Use item 4.c)

For your information, the Community Forum is not an official support-forum and is not officially monitored by VMware Support or Product Managers.

This is a community based forum where VMware Fusion users help other users. Remember that everybody helping you here is doing that for free.

As a side note there are VMware employees who keep an eye on the forums and try to help out, but they might not see every post and most - if not all of them - are doing so in their own free time.

To get official support open a ticket at File a Support Request

--

Wil

(User Moderator VMware Forums)

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
AvinashRana
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Will,

Accept my apologies. Although I didn't curse or used any derogatory words, but if I wrote something offensive, or if it sounded offensive, my apologies.

I was absolutely not aware of the fact that it's a community driven forum and not officially supported. It's really disappointing.

Avinash

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

Thanks for using Workstation. I feel sorry for what you have experienced. Could you collect the support bundle and send it to me, so that we can have a look? And we can also have a try in the house based on the logging/environment info. My email is: twang at vmware.com if you do not want to attach the bundle to the forum. Thank you.

AvinashRana
Contributor
Contributor

Can you please tell me how to collect it? And did you tried testing VMWare workstation on Windows 10 Enterprise at your end?

EDIT: One thing I can confirm that VMWare Workstation Pro is working perfectly fine with the older version of Windows 10 Enterprise x64 (ver. 1511). May be you can test things at your end?

Avinash

0 Kudos
AvinashRana
Contributor
Contributor

I tested thoroughly on my OLD system too, and I can confirm that VMWare workstation is giving me the same error which I am getting on my fairly new system.

I request VMWare team to look into this and test it at their end. I am sure you'll get the same error which I am getting. Please kindly look into this.

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

To collect support bundle, go to Help -> Support -> Collect Support Data....

You log info is very important to us, since your issue seems not a general issue, it may specific to a particular environment (hardware or software or combine) to reproduce.

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

FYI, I personally have a test PC which installed 1607, the WS 12.5.2 works great on it. So your support bundle is really important to us. Thank you.

0 Kudos
AvinashRana
Contributor
Contributor

Which version of Windows did you installed?

Please install Windows 10 Enterprise x64 v.1607 and install the latest updates of December/January. As I mentioned in my previous messages, I've not installed any other software after a clean format. Only installed VMWare workstation after updating windows.

In-order to check the same issue, I did a clean install of my Laptop too, and the same issue was found on Laptop too. So it's clear that it's not hardware or software related issue. It's something specific to Windows 10 Enterprise.

I would suggest you to install the WINDOWS 10 Enterprise x64 v.1607 only. And do not forgot to update it completely.

0 Kudos