VMware Communities
tlentlen
Contributor
Contributor

NAT on a Specific NIC - Problem

Hi to all,

i've a problem at the moment i can't find a solution to solve.

The situation is simple. I have various physical nics. On one or some of this i want to do a nat on virtual machines.

After i insert the specified NIC in (say) VMNet 2 i try to add the NAT to it but it say it alters the physical NIC.

Infact it change the ip of the physical NIC to xxx.xxx.xxx.1 in order to configure the private NAT.

But i can't do this because i have an assigned fixed IP on that NIC.

What i would expect would it asks me to define the private class behind the nat and automatically route internally

the packet from the class i define to the external physical ip on the nic i have, as any normal router-nat do.

In other term a public (nic ip that doesn't change) and a private (custom defined class) ip.

I thnk at the moment this is a VMWare limitation.

Can be a nat solution be implemented in future version in a manner like this?

Or else a solution to solve?

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums!

If you want to do NAT, you just have to add a vNIC to the guest, type NAT (VMnet8). This is the predefined NAT network which is connected to all TCP/IP stacks of the host. It already has a private IP address range and there's a DHCP server serving virtual machines with IP addresses (all assumed you didn't change the default).

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
tlentlen
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, i know this, but i would need to do "isolation" and to have a precise control over what and "on what" i nat what.

I think this would be a very elegant concept, but for the moment i'll stick with it.

Thank you for the reply

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

As far as I know you can't restrict VMware NAT to a single adapter.

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

why don't you use a small VM like m0n0wall to do custom NAT - services ?

Thats more stable and more customisable than the VMware buildin services

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
tlentlen
Contributor
Contributor

Well, i could as using other VMs firewall solution,

but i stil think that adding to vmware itself a simple configurable 1:1 nat feature would create an even more "reality resembling" representations of the virtual environment.

Anyway i'll stick with what's there right now.

Thanks

0 Kudos