VMware Communities
lvqnguyen
Contributor
Contributor

NAT Networking Not Working On Windows 7 (VMWare WS 7)

I'm using VMWare WS7 - and the NAT networking is not working fully/properly. I'm running the host on Windows 7 64bit and the guest is a Windows Server 2003 Standard.

I'm able to ping the host from the guest and the guest from the host, however the guest cannot get to external sites (e.g. ping to google, websites).

If I switch to bridged, everything works fine - however I need to run my VM behind my host in NAT.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Please post "ipconfig /all" from guest AND host.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
MullionBlasto
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same issue. Identical. Any news on this?

Pasting ipconfig /all would reveal some sensitive stuff. Any other ideas?

Mullion.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Try (temporarily) disabling any "offload" settings on your Host's Network Adapter. http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1015940

Are you running the latest Workstation 7.1 (released just a few days ago)?

What AntiVirus are you running on your Host? Any 3rd party firewalls or other "security" software installed?

0 Kudos
MullionBlasto
Contributor
Contributor

I checked the "TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4)" as well as v6 and both were disabled. I uninstalled virus and firewall software as well as turned off Windows Firewall. I rebooted after these steps as well.

I'm running VMware Workstation 7.1, the recently released version.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I uninstalled virus and firewall software as well as turned off Windows Firewall. I rebooted after these steps as well.

Just curious what virus and firewall software you had installed?

0 Kudos
MullionBlasto
Contributor
Contributor

I previously had Comodo installed.

Again, the virtual machine gets an IP address and I can browse, connect, etc. The only thing I can't do is access the VM from the host on NAT.

0 Kudos
MullionBlasto
Contributor
Contributor

Sadly this is still busted.

I tried the KB recommendation. I tried bridged networking. I restarted, reconnected and retraced my steps. I still cannot connect from my Windows 7 x64 host to my Windows 2003 Server x64 VM.

I'm stymied.

What can I try?

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Have you trried to sdet you network connections to private?

Go to start>Search>secpol.msc

Network List Manager Policies>Unidentified Networks

Double Click>Change Location Type to Private

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

0 Kudos
gtoalutpa
Contributor
Contributor

See this blog entry for a work-around. It uses ICS instead of vmware's software to do the NAT.

http://florianlr.wordpress.com/2009/07/09/5/

Now that Win7 is in production vmware has no excuse for not fixing this major bug that was reported nearly a year ago with the Windows 7 betas. Truly appalling support.

0 Kudos
MullionBlasto
Contributor
Contributor

Appalling is a little harsh. There have been consisten replies since the start of this and my other thread. Unfortunately I still don't have a solution. The Florian link isn't viable since I can't use ICS. I would like to see a little more urgency on some kind of response here.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

I previously had Comodo installed.

Again, the virtual machine gets an IP address and I can browse, connect, etc. The only thing I can't do is access the VM from the host on NAT.

In your first post you wrote you have the same issue as the initial poster. The problem you describe here however is a different one.

I would suggest that you (always) open your own thread describing your issue and posting your setup information (ipconfig /all, ifconfig -a, etc.).

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

@ the original poster

Does your problem still exist?

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

0 Kudos
gtoalutpa
Contributor
Contributor

Just FYI if it helps with debugging; I used the ICS workaround and it did work, but after a few days I started finding that the networking would be dead again for no apparent reason. Turned out that it was dead on return from the machine having been in (hybrid) sleep mode; I would wake it up in the morning with a 'wake on lan' packet from my other desktop then log in via remote desktop, and find the networking in the linux VM dead.

Restarting the vm instance didn't fix it, and suspending the vm and restarting win7 didn't fix it; the only thing that fixed it was restarting both the vm and windows.

Which specific thing in the above (remote desktop, wake on lan, sleep, hybrid sleep, etc) was the culprit for the dead networking I have no idea, I just throw this out in the chance that someone googling for this problem might see it and note some common factor.

regards

Graham

0 Kudos