VMware Communities
bobhurd3d
Contributor
Contributor

My shared files are not visible when I go to Ubuntu mnt hgfs directory

My shared files are not visible when I go to Ubuntu mnt hgfs directory today.  I emphasize today because yesterday and days before the the shared directory worked fine.  I don't know how to troubleshoot this problem although I have tried deleting the shared directory and files and putting them back, but no luck.

Any ideas?

bob

0 Kudos
8 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Which VMware product does this relate to?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
bobhurd3d
Contributor
Contributor

I am using VMWare 17.0.0 (which just came out as you know).  I have since fixed the problem by reinstalling VMWare and reloading Ubuntu and resharing that same directory.  Now all is well file-system-wise.  It took a lot of time considering all the applications that needed to be reloaded, but it was worth the trouble to get a properly running system again.

However, now my Thunderbird email client on VMWare is only accessing the last 155 emails out of the thousands I have available on my server.  My Thunderbird email client that runs under Windows 10 is accessing all 5000+ emails so I am not hampered by this new problem.  I have meticulously compared the two Thunderbird installations and they are exactly identical (I think).  So I am still trying to figure that problem out.

Thanks for responding, my friend.

bob

0 Kudos
bobhurd3d
Contributor
Contributor

The files have disappeared again.  I have no idea why.

bob

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As your post needs moving to the area for Workstation Pro, I have reported it to the moderators.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
bobhurd3d
Contributor
Contributor

Since I do NOT have VMWare Pro, that is an odd thing to request the moderators to do.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Well you didn't actually mention a product, just "17.0.0" which is the new version for both Workstation Pro and Workstation Player - you used "VMWare" in place of any product name, much like saying "Microsoft" when you could be referring to Azure, an Xbox, or Word.

Since the Workstation Pro area of the forums has the larger traffic, it seemed the sensible place to ask them to move the post to - so do you actually use Workstation Player?

It certainly doesn't belong in this area of the Communities.

0 Kudos
bobhurd3d
Contributor
Contributor

Now I understand.  Thank you for suggesting to put my post where it will receive the most attention.

0 Kudos
bobhurd3d
Contributor
Contributor

I have unistalled VMWare 17.0.0 and gone back to version 16.2.4. Also, I went to an older version of Ubuntu, version 20.04.  So far everything I have in the shared directory is still there.  We'll see if it lasts the day.

0 Kudos