VMware Communities
SergioE
Contributor
Contributor

My personal solution to error 1327 "invalid drive G:\"

Hi

Installing the workstation 8.0.2  at work, I get this  error because I install it over the previous version 8.0.1.
Affected pc:
W7 x64 Ultimate on a Amd turion II ultra dual-core laptop with 4gb ram.
The problem:
In the 8.0.1  I changed the default shared vm folder to "G:\vm\shared\" path, but the disk failed so I removed it and forgot to update the shared path. Since I didn't have any shared machine, the fact that the disk wasn't present didn't affect my work.
The solution:
Since I can't be able to find any configuration file with the "G:\" and the instaler only gives "error 1327 invalid drive g:\". I try all mentioned in this article but nothing worked... so I solve it creating a new vhd file with ntfs, and pointing it to letter "G:" and fially the installer finished ok.
Reviewing the content of the "g:" vhd drive I just find  that it only have a single empty path  "G:\vms\shared" so I remember the mentioned change of path in the previous version.
I hope this solution can help another lost people!
Best regards
0 Kudos
6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi
that is an advanced solution for a simple problem.

It would have been easier to modify the file "datastores.xml" in c:\programdata\vmware

0 Kudos
SergioE
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I know that the solution given is advanced but I did a search on the web for the location of the setting and can't be able to find it.

Also, I am absolutely sure that none of the xml files in my C: drive has the "G:\" string inside...

I use a little but very useful program to do a text search over al *.ini, *.xml, *.cfg files and that string wasn't found so I don't know now  if that was the problem... I look in the web for the 1327 invalide drive message and many many answers was related to the install package itself.

So, if the datastores answer didn't work, I am absolutely sure that the vhd solves the problem.

Best regards

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

your search probably did not find the datastores.xml as this file is stored in a hidden directory
only admins can see it at all

0 Kudos
SergioE
Contributor
Contributor

Tried find the string "<_type>hostd.host.LocalDatastoreEntry</_type" in al xml files with my finder (locete32 is named this freeware utility), and the string was found on

C:\ProgramData\VMware\hostd\backup\datastores.xml
C:\ProgramData\VMware\hostd\datastores.xml

Best regards.

Sergio E

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

yep - didn't I mentioned that already ?

0 Kudos
SergioE
Contributor
Contributor

My point in the past comment was that with my tool I wasn't able to find the "G:\" string in any xml on my c: hard disk, but if I look for an specific string inside the mentioned xml, the program is able to give me the 2 wvmware xml files in wich this string appears... so I can deduce that the "G:\" path mentioned by the installer error wasn't about a configuration in the vmware past installation so I'm unable to determine why I was having the error.

And also, I confirmed that my tool is able to locate the hidden vmware config file.

0 Kudos